‘We’ve got to get to work’: Senate candidate Charles Booker shares vision for Kentucky’s future with WKU students

Michael Crimmins, Investigative Reporter

Former Kentucky State Representative and 2022 Senate candidate Charles Booker, sporting a windbreaker and a white “Kentucky New Deal” hat, came to speak with WKU students about policy on Wednesday afternoon.

The event was hosted by the Young Democrats and the Young Democratic Socialists of America, two student organizations at WKU, in DSU’s night class on March 3.

Booker is running against incumbent Rand Paul for one of Kentucky’s Senate seats in the 2022 election.

“I want to earn your support because we’ve got a lot of work to do,” Booker said. 

The meet-and-greet began with booming applause from WKU students as Booker gave his opening remarks.

Originally, Booker said he wanted to be a lawyer to provide a “voice for the unheard”, but decided to go into politics when he took a trip to the capitol.

If the laws are unjust, if the laws have structural racism in them, if the laws are perpetuating inequity and I’m just arguing them, then I’m not doing all I can do.

— Charles Booker

“My first time in the capitol building I thought, ‘what the hell, y’all are talking about me but y’all don’t see me,” Booker said. 

Booker said unsavory bills and laws he heard about during his youth changed his direction from wanting to be a lawyer to wanting to be the one helping make the laws.

“I determined I didn’t just want to argue laws as an attorney, I decided I wanted to make the laws,” Booker said. “If the laws are unjust, if the laws have structural racism in them, if the laws are perpetuating inequity and I’m just arguing them, then I’m not doing all I can do.”

In his roughly 20-minute opening remarks, Booker spoke about the issues he saw that are affecting Kentucky with hope and optimism.

“I believe things can change,” Booker said. “I believe poverty can be answered. I believe we can heal racism, not by ignoring it or not teaching it or acting like it doesn’t exist, but dealing with our past pain and dealing with our truth so that we can do better for our children.” 

One of the main messages in his remarks was ensuring that Kentuckians’ voices are heard.

“The idea of democracy, and if you’re looking at what’s happening on the global stage with Ukraine, but even in our country, there’s an effort to suppress the right of people to be heard, to take voices away,” Booker said. “In Kentucky it is disproportionately hard to be heard. We have been one of the most disenfranchised states in the country.”

I’m not here to tell you what’s right for you, I’d rather listen and lift up your voice, and go to Washington and fight for that and ask that you hold me accountable.

— Charles Booker

A person cannot push for change if their voices are not heard, Booker said. At one point in his remarks he covered his mouth and spoke to showcase what he said is happening in Kentucky.

During his speech, Booker spoke on issues close to him such as Insulin costs, the Opioid Crisis, student debt and the struggles of family businesses. 

Towards the end of his remarks he opened the floor to student questions, comments, suggestions and concerns.

“So what we’re doing is talking about, what are your concerns? What are you pissed off about? What do you want to see done different? And I’m building my platform based on that,” Booker said. “I’m not here to tell you what’s right for you, I’d rather listen and lift up your voice, and go to Washington and fight for that and ask that you hold me accountable.”

The questions from students ranged from topics on climate change and the Appalachian region to education and Critical Race Theory.

On climate change, Booker spoke at length about the Kentucky New Deal. His plan to combat “the loss of jobs and the decline of the fossil fuel industry” and generational poverty in the Commonwealth.

“So the power of the Kentucky New Deal is looking at us taking ownership of our sustainable future,” Booker said.

The overall message of the event was bringing Kentuckians from all backgrounds together to change the state for the better.

“I know we can break barriers, but our pursuit is hanging on by a thread,” Booker said. “We’ve got to get to work.”

Investigative Reporter Michael Crimmins can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @michael_crimm.