Batusich named C-USA Player of the Week

Tucker Covey

Third baseman Matthew Meyer, left fielder Justin Carlin, and designated hitter Ty Batusich celebrate after Batusich Hit a home run on Friday, Feb. 18. WKU played Western Illinois and won 6-4.

Camden Bush, Baseball Reporter

WKU Baseball freshman catcher Ty Batusich was named the Conference USA Hitter of the Week on Monday.

League officials announced the honor Monday morning after Batusich slashed an absurd .471/.500/.706 line the week prior. Batusich recorded eight hits in the four games, including a double and home run. Batusich also knocked in ten runs throughout the week

Batusich helped the Hilltoppers to a 4-0 record over the past week, highlighted by a victory over the University of Kentucky. Batusich had the go-ahead two- run RBI single in the top of the ninth in Lexington that gave the Hilltoppers the win over the Wildcats.

Batusich’s numbers on the season have been nothing short of spectacular as he has hit for a .410 average with five home runs and 19 RBI’s. Additionally, Batusich’s OPS on the season is an absurd 1.383. 

Batusich leads the Hilltoppers in every major batting statistic aside from batting average, in which he ranks second. Batusich leads the team in home runs, RBI’s, slugging percentage, on-base percentage, runs and total bases. He also ranks in the top 20 in all of college baseball in both home runs and RBIs.

“It has been fun,” Batusich said after Sunday’s game against Hartford. “Gilroy, Meyer, Crittenberger — when he’s been out there — they’ve all been good. They’ve been on base every single time. So they just give me an opportunity to drive in runs.”

Batusich will look to continue his hot streak as the Hilltoppers will start the week in Richmond, Kentucky, where they will face EKU at 3 p.m. CT on Tuesday. Later in the week, the Hilltoppers will return home for a three-game weekend stand against Illinois.

Baseball Reporter Camden Bush can be reached at [email protected]