Martha Sales transitions to dean of students

Silas Walker

Effective April 1, 2022, Martha Sales has transitioned from interim to dean of students at WKU.

Jake Moore, Content Editor

Editor’s note: This story has been updated following an interview with Dr. Sales.

Martha Sales, who has fulfilled the role of interim dean of students since July 2021, has transitioned to dean of students, effective immediately.

“I feel wonderful, I feel blessed for the opportunity,” Sales told the Herald. “I feel very blessed.”

Ethan Logan, vice president for enrollment and student experience, announced the transition in an email release on Friday afternoon.

“Her tireless efforts and commitment to our institution and our students is exemplary and profound,” Logan’s announcement states.

Sales, hailing from just down the road in Franklin, Kentucky, has a lengthy connection to the Hill. It was at WKU that she earned a bachelor of science degree in social work with a minor in African American studies, a master of arts degree in counseling in marriage and family, an educational specialist degree in student affairs, a women studies graduate certificate and a doctorate of educational leadership.

She has held the interim position since the retirement of Lynne Holland and has simultaneously maintained her duties as executive director of WKU’s Intercultural Student Engagement Center and TRIO programs.

Sales said her time as interim dean reminded her “how awesome our students are”, and that moving forward, “if we continue to provide access and opportunity for our students, there’s nothing that we’ll have to worry about.”

Sales’ passion for helping students in whatever way she can shines through at all times. Speaking at WKU’s annual scholarship celebration on March 31, she reminded the crowd in attendance that “it is hard being a student”, and that each and every member of the university’s student body matters.

Additionally, for members of the WKU student body who may not be familiar with what the dean of students does, Sales explained that the dean of students office is the place to go for all kinds of assistance.

“A dean of students advocates for students, I work for the students, so when in doubt, if they have questions about the university, if they have questions about resources, our dean of students office is the place to start,” Sales said. “This is the place to meet them in the middle and the place to help them finish.”

Content Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.