SGA to host Mental Health Awareness events across next week

sga_hope_AC.jpg

sga_hope_AC.jpg

Makaio Smith, News reporter

The Student Government Association is holding a mental health awareness week beginning on Monday, April 25 through Friday, April 29 to preview Mental Health Awareness month in May.

Each day there will be an event held to help promote mental health awareness and education for students.

“We wanted to do something to shed light and reduce stigmas of mental illnesses,” Alex Cissell, SGA Student Mental Health and Wellbeing Committee chair, said in a press release. “Students should feel comfortable and safe on this campus, especially when it comes to their mental wellbeing.” 

On April 25, a mental health awareness week kick-off will be hosted at Centennial Mall from 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. 

“We will be tabling with several organizations on campus to celebrate the start of the week,” Emily Bunning, a senior SGA senator, said. “We will be hosting a raffle to win gift cards, handing out information on mental health/counseling resources around campus, playing music, etc. It is going to be an informal way of kicking off the week and spreading awareness and information for the other events to follow.”

On Tuesday, April 26, there will be a Zumba class held in Preston Center from 7:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. 

The SGA is collaborating with GroupXFitness to offer students a way to destress with a fun way to exercise. They will also be offering gift cards to the first 10 people to arrive as well as goodies after the event.

On Wednesday, April 27, there will be a Denim Day tabling event in the DSU green space from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and a Rae of Sunshine Foundation Speaker in the DSU Auditorium from 6:00 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.

The SGA is inviting all WKU students to wear denim to stand in solidarity with sexual violence victims all around the world.  

“The SGA will host Taylora Schlosser from the Rae of Sunshine Foundation to speak about her daughter, Taylor Rae’s, story, as well as her experiences with mental health,” Bunning said. “She will also be discussing suicide prevention and ways to help others struggling with mental illness.”

Admission is free, but there will be Rae of Sunshine merchandise available for people to purchase.

On Thursday, April 28, there will be a Coffee and Kindness tabling event in Centennial Mall from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. to help further spread Rae of Sunshine’s message.

On Friday, April 29, there will be a Dog Day held in the DSU green space from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Students will have the opportunity to de-stress with dogs from the Bowling Green Humane society.

“The goal is to have a laid-back environment where students can just come hang out for a bit with friends and dogs,” Bunning said.

News reporter Makaio Smith can be reached [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @MakaioSmith