WKU Soccer falls to No.9 ranked Ole Miss


Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers senior forward Katie Erwin (13) goes up for a header against a member of the University of Kentucky Wildcats during a match on Wednesday evening, Sept. 1 at the WKU Soccer Complex in Bowling Green, Ky. WKU won the match 1-0.

Jake McMahon, Sports Reporter

WKU Soccer (2-3-2) lost 2-1 to the No. 9 ranked Ole Miss Rebels (6-0-1) Thursday night at the Ole Miss Soccer Stadium in Oxford, Mississippi. 

The Ole Miss defense was the story of the night. The Rebels held the Hilltoppers to three total shots for the entire game. 

Head coach Jason Neidell’s squad had a tough time defending the rebels. Ole Miss attempted 12 shots and connected on two. The Rebels were awarded nine corner kicks compared to four for WKU.

“I’m really proud of our team,” Neidell said. “We battled back from a goal deficit to equalize, and then just had to absorb too much pressure down the stretch from a big, athletic, strong SEC team. We’ll need to have a short memory and get ready for a really good Arkansas State side on Sunday. These games will continue to prepare us for a tough conference race ahead.”

 WKU and Ole Miss both started the game off cold offensively. Both squads totaled one shot through the first 15 minutes. The Hilltopper offense was able to accumulate two total shot attempts in the half as opposed to four from the Rebels.

Fifth-year senior goalkeeper Alexis Bach kept the game scoreless through the first half with three saves. Along with solid play from Bach, the Hilltoppers did a nice job defending the box as they kept the Rebels from scoring on their four corner kick attempts in the first 45 minutes.

The second half started with both teams trading possessions until a strike from Ole Miss senior Mary-Kate McGuire got past Bach. McGuire’s shot put the Rebels in command in the 55th minute. WKU would respond with a goal from fifth-year senior Kendall King, tying the game 1-1. 

The Hilltoppers weren’t able to gain any momentum after King’s goal. The Hilltoppers had trouble controlling the ball after tying the score.

WKU would not attempt another shot for the rest of the game. The Hiltoppers gave up the game-winning goal to Rebels junior Price Loposer in the 72nd minute from a penalty kick, falling 2-1. 

The Hilltoppers will be looking to bounce back against Arkansas State Sunday at Centennial Bank Stadium in Jonesboro, Arkansas. 


Sports reporter Jake McMahon be reached at [email protected]