WKUPD releases annual campus safety report

Tucker Covey / College Heights Herald

The WKU Police Department released its annual campus safety report on Friday, Sept. 30 2022.

Michael Crimmins, Administration reporter

The WKU Police Department released its annual campus safety and security report for the 2021 calendar year on Friday, noting increases in liquor law and drug violations leading to disciplinary action.

According to the 80-page report, 397 cases of liquor law violations leading to disciplinary actions were reported in 2021, up from 154 in 2020 and 130 in 2019. Liquor law violations leading to arrests are down to six reported cases compared to 13 in 2020.

“The University has adopted a Parental Notification Policy for students found in violation of the alcohol or drug policies, who are under 21 years of age,” the report states. 

WKU’s student conduct website states that the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act “allows the disclosure of specific information concerning the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance by students under the age of 21.”

A total of 78 cases of drug law violations leading to disciplinary actions were reported, up from 15 in 2020 and 36 in 2019.

In addition, instances of weapon possession arrests were down to zero this past year. There were also no reported hate crimes this past calendar year.

According to the report there were five rapes reported in the 2021 calendar year, an increase of one case over 2020. All five cases were reported to WKU’s main Bowling Green campus, four occurring “On Campus Residential Facilities” and one reported off-campus.

Five burglaries were reported this past year with three happening on the main campus and two at the L.D. Brown Agriculture Exposition Center. The report defines burglaries as the “unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or a theft.”

Drug violations and arrests have increased slightly from 29 in 2020 to 30 cases in 2021, both well below 2019’s total of 97. Vehicle thefts are also slightly up, increasing from one in 2020 to two reported cases last year. According to the report, all instances took place on the main campus.

The report also includes a fire log, noting that one fire occurred on May 24, 2021 in the Kentucky Street Apartments at 11:35 p.m. According to the report, the cause of the fire was determined to be grease.

The report can be read in full here.

Administration reporter Michael Crimmins can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @michael_crimm.