Muslim Student Association educates, provides space for Islamic students

Molly Dobberstein, News reporter

COVID-19 prevented the Muslim Student Association from reaching its full potential. Dani Khan, the association’s president, has been working since August to bring the MSA back to campus.

“All of us were just scattered, nobody had any Muslim friends, nobody had a place,” Khan, a senior, said.

Bowling Green has a mosque, but due to students living on campus, Khan said a lack of transportation can be an issue in getting there. Therefore, the MSA’s purpose is to be a gathering place for Muslim students.

Wael Jaber, community service chair of the MSA, said his main goal of being involved in the organization is to build a comfortable environment for Muslim students. 

“It is critical to raise awareness about certain aspects of our religion that are often misrepresented in the media,” Jaber said.

Any students are welcome to join the MSA, regardless of their religion. The organization is sharing and educating those who might not know about the Islamic religion.

“Islam is a very misunderstood religion,” Aisha Salifu, vice president of MSA, said. “I think it is important for people, especially students, to understand the real meaning behind Islam.” 

Salifu said the MSA helped her create more genuine friendships with individuals who accept her as she is. 

The MSA participates in religious, cultural, community service and social events on campus. The association recently hosted a speaker to explain the basics of Islam.

Khan said the organization eventually wants to have a meeting place on campus where they can come together in prayer. Khan said that in the Islamic religion, prayer is essential. Currently, Muslim students do not have a space where they can do so privately. 

The MSA’s Cultural Night at the Faculty House, open to all students, is to be held Oct. 20 from 6-8 p.m. More information about the event and the organization as a whole can be found on Instagram.

News reporter Molly Dobberstein can be reached at [email protected]