Munday Hall officially dedicated in honor of trailblazer namesake

Sean McInnis

Margaret Munday gives remarks during the dedication of Munday Hall on Friday, Oct. 28, 2022 in Bowling Green, Ky. “I am beyond words,” Munday said. “If I had the voices of a million angels, they would not be able to express my gratitude for all that’s been done today.” 

Jacob Latimer, News reporter

Munday Hall was officially dedicated on Friday morning, honoring Margaret Munday, the first Black undergraduate student to attend WKU. 

Munday, born in 1938, enrolled at WKU in 1956 after Kentucky’s higher education institutions were desegregated and graduated in 1960 with a music degree. She went on to teach for over 30 years at multiple Kentucky schools.

“[Munday] made a path seemingly difficult for so many just a little bit easier,” WKU President Timothy Caboni said. “She is a trailblazer in every sense of the word.”

A bronze plaque is presented to Margaret Munday during the dedication of Munday Hall and will hang in the lobby of the newly dedicated building on Friday, Oct. 28, 2022 in Bowling Green, Ky. (Sean McInnis)

Munday was a trailblazer off of the Hill, too – she became Auburn High School’s first Black teacher in 1964.

In attendance were Munday’s friends, family, church and former students. Elected officials, including Bowling Green mayor Todd Alcott, also made an appearance.

Munday was presented with a bronze plaque that will be placed inside of Munday Hall to commemorate her time on the Hill.

“I am beyond words,” Munday said. “If I had the voices of a million angels, they would not be able to express my gratitude for all that’s been done today.” 

Caboni said Munday is “one-of-a-kind” and has a “deep heart.”

“There is not a more fitting individual for this honor than Ms. Munday,” Caboni said. 

WKU President Timothy Caboni presents Margaret Munday with a personal plaque during the the dedication of Munday Hall on Friday, Oct. 28, 2022 in Bowling Green, Ky. (Sean McInnis)

At the ceremony, WKU Regent George Nichols III announced the Munday Hall Scholarship that will provide funding for two Black students each year living in Munday Hall. This scholarship was started by Nichols and his wife, C.J.

WKU Regent George Nichols III announces the Munday Hall Scholarship during the dedication of Munday Hall on Friday, Oct. 28, 2022 in Bowling Green, Ky. (Sean McInnis)

The first two recipients of the scholarship, WKU students Jeremiah Morrow and Ashanti Groves, were present at the ceremony. 

Munday said she hopes current and future students continue to stand up for what they believe in and work hard towards their goals.

“I hope that students will remember the importance of stepping outside of their comfort zone to pave the way for others,” Munday said. 

WKU student Ashanti Groves, one of the first two recipients of the Munday Hall Scholarship, sings as part of the dedication of Munday Hall on Friday, Oct. 28, 2022 in Bowling Green, Ky. (Sean McInnis)

Munday Hall, formerly Northeast Hall, is the first building on campus named after an African American.

News reporter Jacob Latimer can be reached at jacob.latimer745@topper. wku.edu. Follow him on Twitter @jacoblatimer_.