WKU Board of Regents upcoming meeting includes president evaluation

Herald Archives

President Timothy Caboni listens during the Board of Regents meeting on April 12, 2019. The Board of Regents discussed future budget cuts during its meeting on Friday.

Michael Crimmins, Administration Reporter

WKU’s Board of Regents will hold its final quarterly meeting of the fall semester on Dec. 8 with votes on the men’s and women’s basketball coaches, a slew of financial and budgetary matters and the president’s evaluation by the members of the board.

Unlike the committee meetings, held four times a year, where only the members of certain committees can vote and make motions on items, the whole board will vote on all items regardless of committee position. 

One prominent agenda item listed under information items is the Board’s evaluation of Caboni led by Chair Phillip Bale.

The President’s evaluation happens annually, said Jace Lux, university spokesperson. Beginning in August, each regent gets roughly six weeks to give feedback on Caboni’s performance.

“Once all feedback is compiled, the president and board chair meet to discuss it,” Lux said. “Then, at the fourth quarterly meeting of the year, the president’s performance appraisal is discussed publicly.”

Last year, Bale said Caboni was “an effective leader during a period of unprecedented challenges.” The Regents also said Caboni demonstrated strong leadership, and possessed a clear vision for the future. 

Due to this being a quarterly meeting, the addendums to the men’s and women’s basketball coaches, Rick Stansbury and Greg Collins respectively, that were voted on and discussed by regents on the Executive Committee during the meeting on Oct. 21, will be voted on by all 11 members of the Board.

“The October meeting, where those contracts were first discussed, were only committee meetings.” Faculty Regent Shane Spiller said in an email. “So, in October, only the Executive Committee voted on those contracts. In the full meeting (Thursday) the full Board is allowed to make motions and vote on all items.”

The two contract addendums are the same as they appeared in the October committee meeting. Stansbury’s and Collin’s contract will be extended to June 30, 2026, the agenda states.

According to the agenda, WKU President Timothy Caboni “requests approval of the Addendum to the Athletic Employment Contract[s]”

Also on the agenda is a bunch of financial and budget matters that require approval. 

Among the items set to be discussed is a “Approval to revision of 2022-23 operating budget” and an approval of the health services contract and the approval of “Parking Structure 3 rooftop lease to New Cingular Wireless,” a business connected to AT&T.

“The President requests that the Board authorize the University to enter into a long-term lease agreement of the Parking Structure 3 Tower B roof with New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC (aka, AT&T) to enhance cellular wireless services for the WKU and Bowling Green communities,” the Finance report states.

According to the report, in the spring of 2020, WKU signed a short term agreement with the company to install a temporary tower on PS3. After looking for a more suitable permanent location and finding none, both parties agreed to “convert the existing location to a long-term lease.”

The long-term lease is for a 10 year period with “two automatic five-year options to extend,” and will cost $39,000 for the first year with a 3% increase each year. The lease agreement also allows for adjustment to fees charged should inflation exceed 10%.

The $10 million line of credit from Truist Bank is also up for approval.

The agenda also includes votes on emeritus appointment and scheduling the meetings for the 2023 year.

The quarterly meeting is set to take place on Dec. 8 at 1:30 p.m. in the Cornelius A. Martin Regents Room in Jody Richards Hall. The meeting will also be streamed live on Youtube.

Administration reporter Michael Crimmins can be reached at [email protected].