‘Home sweet home’: political science department on their move to Cherry Hall

The WKU Political Science Ambassadors hosted students in Cherry Hall to welcome the department to their new home, moving from Grise Hall where they were previously.

Cherry Hall. File photo, Mike Clark/HERALD

Molly Dobberstein, News reporter

WKU political science students were invited to Cherry Hall on Jan. 25 for a housewarming party, welcoming them to the new home for the department.

The political science department was previously housed in Grise Hall, and recently moved up the hill to the third floor of Cherry Hall.

Department Head Scott Lasley said that due to the addition of Philosophy to the department prior to the 2022-2023 academic year, the transition to move from Grise to Cherry is a good fit for students. “Being together not only has administrative benefits but also helps build a sense of community across the department and our majors,” Lasley said.

During the time when the Philosophy department was in the political science department before the move, they were split between the two buildings.“The move was an opportunity to get our academic programs and faculty under one roof and on one floor,” Lasley said.

In order to make students feel at home, the Political Science Ambassadors hosted a housewarming party, which included hot chocolate and baked goods, offering students a time to mingle in their new space.

“It got created and developed last semester,” President of the PSA Sophie Bitner said, “we are the first cohort, it hasn’t existed before.” Bitner explained that the main purpose of the PSA, not only to connect students and staff, but is to promote the department at recruitment events for incoming students.

The event was a launch for the organization, getting their name out there, Bitner said. With the organization being new to campus, the PSA wanted to try to attract all students.

Coming up in the political science department, “Pizza, Politics, and Philosophy” will be hosted, giving students a space to discuss with others about topics they find interesting, Bitner said. The focus of these meetings is to allow political science majors and beyond to talk about related topics, outside of class time, while building social relationships.

“That’s an event that we aren’t planning, but we are a part of the process of planning and coming up with ideas,” Bitner said.

Students interested in being a part of the PSA as an ambassador can find applications on their instagram @psa.wku.

News reporter Molly Dobberstein can be reached at [email protected]