WKU School of Media receives recommendation for reaccrediation

Herald Archives

An exploratory committee has submitted a report regarding a potential merger between WKU’s School of Media and Department of Communications that would, if approved, see both programs housed under one roof in Jody Richards Hall.

B Turner, Content Editor

Editor’s Note: This story may be updated as more information becomes available.

Western Kentucky University’s School of Media was recommended for reaccreditation by an accreditation council from the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. 

The accreditation council visited WKU from Jan. 22 to Jan. 24.

The accreditation council sat in on classes taught in the School of Media and held a luncheon with students to discuss their classes and the program as a whole. 

Their official statement and recommendation has not been released, considering it is still in the draft stages. 

However, according to Ron DeMarse, “We [the School of Media] were found out of compliance on their Assessment standard, and in-compliance on all seven of the other standards.”

Once the recommendation is made official and any necessary changes are made, the statement will be released for students to read for themselves. 

Content Editor B Turner can be reached at [email protected].