WKU Tennis defeats Murray State University

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers freshman Rachel Hermanova celebrates a point against Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis Jaguars senior Samantha Hayward on the afternoon of Sunday, Feb. 6, 2022, at Michael O. Buchanon Park’s tennis facility. WKU won the match 7-0.

Jake McMahon

WKU Tennis (6-3) took down the Murray State Racers (4-2) 4-3, Friday, Feb. 10 at the Warren County Tennis Complex. 

The Lady Toppers were able to get ahead of the Racers early. An impressive 6-3 doubles win from junior Samantha Martinez and sophomore Mariana Zegada put the Lady Toppers a win away from the doubles point. 

While the Racers were able to take the win at the No. 2 spot, redshirt-junior Paola Cortez and redshirt-sophomore Sayda Hernandez secured the doubles point for WKU after a 6-3 win. 

WKU took all their momentum from doubles into the singles matches. Zegada quickly improved to a 6-0 singles record on the year as she went untouched in her match winning 6-0, 6-0. 

Sophomore Sofia Blanco was able to put the Lady Toppers up in an almost insurmountable 3-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-0 singles win. Blanco’s win against Murray State was her sixth on the year, making her 6-3 on the campaign. 

Sophomore Rachel Hermanova was able to lock up the match for WKU after a nice 6-3, 6-4 win. This was Hermanova’s team leading seventh win on the year. 

While the Racers were able to win the rest of the singles matches, it was too little too late as the Lady Toppers won the match 4-3. 

WKU tennis will look to make it four straight wins when they take on the Ball State Cardinals, Saturday, Feb. 18 in Muncie, Indiana.

Sports reporter Jake McMahon can be reached at [email protected] .