WKU Track and Field competes in CUSA Indoor Championships; Isenbarger earns gold

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

WKU Hilltoppers’ senior Katie Isenbarger clears the crossbar at the high-jump at the Lenny Lyles Invitational track and field meet Saturday, Jan. 28 of 2022 at the Norton Healthcare Sports and Learning Center in Louisville, Kentucky. Isenbarger placed first in the event out of 27 competitors, though she had not high-jumped since her sophomore year.

Jake McMahon

WKU Track and Field competed at the CUSA Indoor Track and Field Championships Feb. 18-19 in Birmingham, Alabama. WKU men’s placed eighth overall while the women’s finished 11th. All-American Katie Isenbarger took home gold in high jump.

Day 1

WKU had a disappointing outing on day one of the competition. The men’s team only gathered eight points on Saturday, putting them in eighth place in team standings going into day two. 

The women’s team also tallied eight points in the opening day of competition, placing them ninth in team standings. 

Weight throw was the main bright spot for the Hilltoppers on day one. Freshman Ajla Basic finished fourth in the women’s weight throw after an impressive 18.41m throw. 

On the men’s side, senior Brett Brannon finished sixth, sophomore Kaison Barton finished seventh and freshman Luke Stegman finished eighth. 

Day 2

Senior, multi-sport athlete Katie Isenbarger won the individual championship for high jump on the second day of competition. Isenbarger had a great 1.80m jump to take the gold back to the hill. Junior Grace Turner finished one place off the podium as her 1.67m jump placed her fourth. 

Sophomore Demetrius Rolle had a great showing in the 60m dash. Rolle had a time of 6.76 seconds to earn the bronze in the competition. 

Overall, the WKU mens team finished the competition with 19 points to place eighth in the championships. The women’s team totaled 23 points to finish 11th overall. 

WKU track will have a month off before beginning their outdoor season Mar. 17-18 at the Alan Connie Shamrock Invitational in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. 

Sports reporter Jake McMahon can be reached at [email protected] .