WKU Lambda Chi Alpha hosts philanthropy week for Hope Harbor

Caleb+Spain+%28right%29+a+senior+in+business+administration+cuts+a+watermelon+for+a+watermelon+eating+contest+during+watermelon+bust+at+the+Lambda+Chi+Alpha+chapter+house+on+WKU+Campus+in+Bowling+Green%2C+Ky.+on+Friday%2C+Sept.+9%2C+2022.+

Tucker Allen Covey / College Heights Herald

Caleb Spain (right) a senior in business administration cuts a watermelon for a watermelon eating contest during watermelon bust at the Lambda Chi Alpha chapter house on WKU Campus in Bowling Green, Ky. on Friday, Sept. 9, 2022.

Izzy Lanuza, News reporter

Lambda Chi Alpha is raising money for Hope Harbor of Bowling Green this week.

Throughout the week of March 6-10, Lambda is raising money through events such as a cookout or a volleyball tournament.

“Hope Harbor is a community style home where they take women that have been sexually abused, and they kind of help them try to get on their feet again and in a sense, cope with what happened and also try to get them more comfortable with themselves,” Adam Reed, Lambda President, said.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, Lambda is hosting a volleyball tournament called Spring Spike.

“Spring spike is for sure my favorite,” Grant Boonstra, Lambda executive committee and past philanthropy chair said. “It’s a volleyball tournament where all the other Greek organizations on campus put in a team and compete to find the winner.”

Currently, Lambda has 12 teams signed up for Spring Spike. It costs $75 to sign up a team of seven and $50 for an additional team. Students are welcome to stop by the house on March 7 and 8 at 4 p.m. to cheer on their favorite team. They will also have food for $3.

Thursday, Lambda is pairing up with Phi Mu for a benefit day at Puertos. On Friday, Lambda is hosting an auction of “beer paraphernalia” or “mancave related items.” In order to bid on items, one must be a WKU student.

“Last year we raised about $20,000.” Will Ezell, Lambda philanthropy chair said. “This year, we hope to raise around $35,000”

The auction will take place on Friday, March 10, it will be located in the tent on the corner of US-31W Bypass and Cabell Dr. Text 615-430-6699 for more details about the auction.