WKU Parking and Transportation replaces parking meters with ParkMobile on-demand parking

Alexandria Anderson

A ParkMobile parking meter in the Academic Complex Service Lot.

Alexandria Anderson, Editor-in-Chief

WKU Parking and Transportation has replaced all campus parking meters with ParkMobile on-demand parking, with the exception of the meters at Diddle Arena.

The shift to the ParkMobile began last fall, where the system was tested throughout a few locations and had a staggered release into the spring.

Michelle Schneller, WKU PTS business operations manager, stated a survey showed that students wanted easier metered access, as many no longer carry coins required for manual meters.

The ParkMobile service offers on-demand parking for metered spots on campus, where visitors pay by app, web or text, as well as a pre-pay reservations option as a pay-as-you-go permit.

At each individual meter, a QR code and lot ID number is listed. Through the website, app or phone number, the lot ID number and a license plate number is requested, and a payment can be made for an allotted amount of time.

Alongside parking meters, the ParkMobile parking reservation website allows for reservations in certain lots across campus. It can be used with the Prepay Reservations Permit, which grants access to the lot on the day of the reservation.

The Herald reached out to WKU PTS Director Ginny Griffin for a comment, but received no response. The story will be updated if her comment becomes available.

Editor-in-chief Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].