OPINION: To the Class of 2027: it’s going to be okay

Price Wilborn

To all freshmen, welcome to the Hill! Here is a bit of advice on things to keep in mind for the next four years. 

Don’t worry! This is not your typical “arrive 15 minutes early to class” kind of advice. You should figure that out on your own. 

Most people are taught that education is a valuable weapon. And it is. But college is so much more than grades and education. The person you will be when you walk across the stage at graduation will be and should be different from who you are when you unpack your first dorm. 

If you’re like me, you may have a plan for what you anticipate in the next few years of your life. It won’t be like that — it’ll be a mix of chaos, fun and stress. 

But the unexpected things are what help you grow. That is the point of college: growth.

The most important thing you’ll gain at WKU will be out of the classroom. Obviously whatever you’re studying is important too, but you should hope to leave WKU with more than a degree. Here you will meet some of the most genuine, kindhearted and interesting people. Some of which could be the most important people to enter life — that’s up to God, or fate or you. I can’t tell you what to believe in. You aren’t reading this to have an existential crisis.

In time, you’ll build a life and routine in Bowling Green or on campus. You’ll learn what bars you like, what you order at Spencer’s coffee and which Kroger you prefer. Create plans for late night “studying” or build a fort using sheets in your dorm. Cherish that. I cannot tell you how much you’ll miss the impulsive Que Pasa runs or the late night walks when you graduate. 

As I enter my senior year, one of the hardest lessons I have learned during my time at WKU is when to take a step back. It is so easy to get caught up in homework, student organizations, work, social life, etc. You are a human first and a student second. It is important to take breaks and set boundaries when you need it. You are allowed to be able to handle everything all the time. 

For some, being away from home can make them feel guilty or homesick. That’s normal, I think. The people you once saw and talked to every single day are suddenly hours away. Your younger siblings keep growing even when you’re not there to see it. When I packed my bags for my first year here, I cried knowing my dog didn’t understand why I was leaving. 

Change like starting college is nerve-racking, but as long as you do your class work and make some memories, you’ll be OK. College is what you make of it. The Hill is a special place for you to grow for the next four years. 

And remember as Taylor Swift once sang, “Life is just a classroom.”