WKU Women’s Golf finishes 8th in Boilermaker Classic

WKU Athletics
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers women’s golfer Sarah Arnold plays a practice round at Olde Stone Country Club. 

WKU Women’s Golf placed 8th in the Boilermaker Classic with a cumulative team score of 887 (23 over). The Hilltoppers began their 2023 season in West Lafayette, Indiana in the invitational hosted by Purdue University on Sept. 4 – 5. The 72-hole tournament was played on Kampen-Cosler Course with a par of 72.

On the opening day of the tournament, teams played the first two rounds. WKU sat in 7th place as a team after the first 36 holes.

Junior Catie Craig led the Hilltoppers after the first day by firing a two round cumulative score of one-under. She shot a 71 in the first round and an even par score of 72 in the second round to find 9th place on the leaderboard after their first day.

Graduate student Sarah Arnold played consistently throughout the two rounds by posting two even par scores. Additionally, senior Addie Westbrook, who played as an individual for WKU, posted a 72 and 77 to place third on the Hilltopper after the first 36 holes.

Craig continued to lead WKU after the final round by firing a 72, keeping her at 1-under par for the entire tournament and 9th place in the field.

Tied at 11th place going into day two, Arnold carded a 73 to finish 3-over par for all three rounds. She finished 12th overall.

Westbrook finished the tournament with a strong even par. She was followed by sophomore Sydney Hackett who posted a third-round score of 73, improving her play from the prior round by six shots.

Sophomore Averi Cline closed her three rounds with a 78 with junior Faith Martin close behind at an 81, putting the pair only one stroke apart for the entire tournament.

WKU will continue their season in the Jennifer Duke Invitational hosted by the University of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio on Sept. 11 – 12. 

T9 Catie Craig – 71, 72, 72 (215)

T12 Sarah Arnold – 72, 72, 73 (217)

T22 Addie Westbrook – 72, 77, 72 (221)

T51 Sydney Hackett – 76, 79, 73 (228)

T70 Averi Cline – 79, 76, 78 (233)

72 Faith Martin – 73, 80, 81 (234)

Sports reporter Molly St. Clair can be reached at [email protected].