Linden’s Cut: Ten films students should watch for this fall

Rose Donnelly

2023 has brought us some great movies but there is still a lot to look forward to. Whether it’s a new film from a renowned director or based on source material, here are 10 films students should watch out for. Please note that these releases could be pushed back due to the ongoing Writers Guild of America and Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists strikes.

An example of this is Dune: Part Two directed by Denis Villenueve but due to the strike, it got pushed back to March 2024. This was originally on here so The Killer directed by David Fincher replaced it.

“A Haunting in Venice”

Hercule Poirot (Kenneth Branagh) has retired from being a detective but must step back into the game after a guest is murdered at a seance in Venice. “A Haunting in Venice” is directed by Kenneth Branagh (“Murder on the Orient Express”, “Death on the Nile”) and will be released in theaters on Sept. 15.

I enjoyed “Orient Express” and “Nile” so it’s interesting that this will be taking more of a spooky approach to the mystery genre. I’m looking forward to more Poirot because he was in both and Branagh was great.

“Dumb Money”

Based on true events of the GameStop short squeeze in 2021, Keith Gill (Paul Dano) bands together with a bunch of redditors to turn the video game store GameStop into a very profitable company. “Dumb Money” is directed by Craig Gillespie (“I, Tonya”, “Cruella”) and will have a limited release on Sept. 15 followed by a wide release on Oct. 6.

I was a junior in high school when these events happened and it’s crazy to believe that a film about these events is getting made 2 years later.

“The Creator”

Set in a futuristic war, an ex-special forces agent named Joshua (John David Washington) is tasked with killing the creator, an architect of advanced artificial intelligence which has the power to end the war and mankind. “The Creator” is directed by Gareth Edwards (“Godzilla”, “Rogue One”) and will be released on Sept. 29.

“Rogue One” is one of my favorite Star Wars movies and seeing how this is from the director of it, I’m hoping it delivers.

“Killers of the Flower Moon”

When oil is discovered in the Osage Nation, the Osage citizens are murdered until the FBI steps in. “Killers of the Flower Moon” is directed by Martin Scorsese (“GoodFellas” “The Departed”, “The Wolf of Wall Street”, “The Irishman”) and will be released in theaters on Oct. 20.

Martin Scorsese is one of the best filmmakers of all time with “The Departed” and “GoodFellas” being some of the greatest films ever made. This time he’s having both Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro on screen after several separate collaborations. With an official runtime of 3 hours and 26 minutes, I’m hopeful every minute is worth it.

“The Killer”

Michael Fassbender stars as a ruthless assassin who is ready for his next assignment. “The Killer” is directed by David Fincher (“Fight Club”, “The Social Network,” “Gone Girl”) and will have a limited release on Oct. 27 before releasing on Netflix on Nov. 10.

David Fincher is another one of my favorite directors with “The Social Network” being one of my personal favorites. Seeing how he is going back to his more gritty psychological roots, it will hopefully be another success.

“The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes”

Set many years before the events of the first film, the plot follows a young Coriolanus Snow (Tom Blyth) and his relationship with District 12 tribute Lucy Gray Baird (Rachel Zegler) while on a course that leads him to become the tyrannical president we know today. “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is directed by Francis Lawrence (“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”, “Mockingjay Part 1 and 2”, “Red Sparrow”) and will be released in theaters on Nov. 18.

Though I’ve only seen the first “Hunger Games” movie, I’m interested in a prequel and seeing how one of the writers, Michael Arndt wrote “Little Miss Sunshine” and “Toy Story 3,” I’m hoping this is a very well written prequel.

“Napoleon”

Depicting the life of French leader Napoleon Bonaparte (Joaquin Phoenix) and his relationship with Empress Josephine (Vanessa Kirby). “Napoleon” is directed by Ridley Scott (“Gladiator”, “The Martian”, “The Last Duel”, “House of Gucci”) and will be released in theaters on Nov. 22.

Ridley Scott directing a film about Napoleon Bonaparte and starring Joaquin Phoenix? Sounds good!

“Wonka”

Willy Wonka (Timothee Chalamet) in his early days as he aspires to be a successful chocolatier. Wonka is directed by Paul King (“Paddington 1 and 2”) and will be released in theaters on Dec. 15.

I didn’t grow up with “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,” but I did grow up reading the book as well as Tim Burton’s “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.” This film explores Wonka’s past and with the talent involved, I’m hoping it will be a good one.

“Maestro”

The life and career of Leonard Bernstein (Bradley Cooper) and his relationship with his wife Felicia (Carey Mulligan) is the subject of this film. “Maestro” is directed by Bradley Cooper (“A Star is Born”) and will have a limited theatrical run on Nov. 22 followed by a wide release on Netflix on Dec. 20.

I would describe “Maestro” as having the character complexity of “Tar” and the visual style of “Blonde.” Leonard Bernstein, while a very talented composer/conductor, dealt with some very complex issues in his personal life such as participating in homosexual affairs.

“Ferrari”

Enzo Ferrari (Adam Driver) grapples with very personal issues in his life while getting ready for the 1957 Mille Miglia, an Italian open-road race. “Ferrari” is directed by Michael Mann (“The Last of the Mohicans”, “Heat”, “Collateral”) and will be released in theaters on Dec. 25.

Adam Driver is nearly unrecognizable as Enzo Ferrari and it’s really cool to see a biopic on the man that made a very famous brand that still sells today.