Four WKU Basketball Players receive C-USA preseason honors

Tucker Covey
Redshirt junior shooting guard Dontaie Allen (11) catches an inbound during the matchup with FIU in E.A. Diddle Arena on Saturday, Jan. 14, 2023. WKU won 70-59.

Four WKU Basketball players were given C-USA preseason honors Oct. 12. From WKU’s women’s team, Junior Alexis Mead and sophomore Acacia Hayes were named to the C-USA Preseason Team. On the men’s side, seniors Dontaie Allen and Brandon Newman were named Preseason All-Conference USA honorees for 2023-2024.

In the 2023 – 2023 season, Mead led WKU in steals and assists. She has also previously been named to the 2021-2022 C-USA All-Freshman team.

Hayes enters her sophomore season at WKU after a strong freshman year performance. She led WKU in points for the 2022-2023 season. This is her third C-USA honors after being named to the 2022-2023 C-USA All-Freshman team and C-USA All-Tournament team.

Allen will begin his second season with WKU after transferring from the University of Kentucky. In the 2022-2023 season, he averaged 13.9 points and 4.8 rebounds per game.

As a 2023 transfer from Purdue, Newman played in all 35 games for the Boilermakers in the 2022-2023 season. 

Newman is set to be a key contributor to the Hilltoppers 2023-2024 season under new Head Coach Steve Lutz. 

WKU Women’s Basketball prepare for their first game of the season on Oct. 31 against Lane college in E.A Diddle Arena at 6p.m. CST. A week later on Nov. 6, WKU Men’s Basketball will open their season against Kentucky Wesleyan in E.A Diddle Arena at 7:30 p.m. CST.

Sports reporter Molly St. Clair can be reached at [email protected].