Andy Beshear wins reelection in Kentucky governor’s race

Kayden Mulrooney
Gov. Andy Beshear speaks to students in the Downing Student Union at Western Kentucky University on Nov. 3, 2023. Beshear stopped at WKU after appearing at other college campuses across the Commonwealth to encourage young people to go to the polls on Election Day.

Editor’s note: This story will be updated as final results are reported.

The Kentucky governor’s race was called for Democratic candidate and incumbent Gov. Andy Beshear by AP News at 7:57 p.m. with 80 percent of votes recorded.

Beshear ran against Republican opponent Daniel Cameron, the Kentucky attorney general.

Beshear was elected governor in 2019, winning by a slim margin against Republican incumbent nominee Matt Bevin.

Beshear ran on a platform of his previous accomplishments in economic development, increasing funding for public schools and supporting bipartisan values. Cameron’s platform focused on economic development and a pro-life abortion stance. 

In his concession speech, Cameron highlighted his thanks to his supporters, his family, his running mate and other members of the party.

“I ask that you pray for Governor Beshear and his team, and for all of our commonwealth, because at the end of the day, win, lose or draw, what ultimately matters is that we know Christ is on the throne,” Cameron said in his concession speech.

He stated that the whole of Kentucky has the same goals in mind, primarily focused on improving the futures of generations to come.

“We want a better commonwealth, one in which it can ultimately be a shining city on a hill, a model, an example for the rest of the nation to follow,” Cameron said.

Beshear’s Lt. Governor, Jacqueline Coleman, was a former school principal and basketball coach and has been an advocate for increasing teacher pay and public school systems in the Commonwealth. 

In his victory speech, Beshear described his platform of historic accomplishments in economic development, the need for bipartisanship and not division and his hopes for the next four years.

“These next four years, we have an opportunity to come further together,” Beshear said. “This is our chance to build that commonwealth we have always dreamed of, to stop the fighting, to push away the division and to recognize that we have more that unites us.”

Beshear hopes that in the next four years, educator pay will be increased, universal free pre-K will be made available and job numbers will continue to grow in the state.

“I pledge tonight to continue to be a governor who serves all our people, regardless of your party, and regardless of who you voted for,” Beshear said. 

Content editor Molly Dobberstein can be reached at [email protected]. News reporter Maggie Phelps can be reached at [email protected].