Board of Regents present WKU president evaluation, suspension of programs

Emilee Arnold
WKU president Timothy Caboni speaks during a Board of Regents committee meeting on October 20, 2023.

WKU Board of Regents met at their fourth quarterly meeting to present the annual presidential evaluation, approve Provost Emeritus status for David D. Lee, and suspend programs. 

The Board discussed WKU President Timothy Caboni’s 2022-2023 evaluation, which every regent participated in. According to the evaluation summary shared, “[Caboni’s] dedication to our institution’s mission and thoughtful approach to challenges have been instrumental in driving transformative improvements to student success, academic excellence, and WKU’s influence across our broader region.”

A few notable achievements on the evaluation summary included the first increase in overall enrollment for degree-seeking students in 13 years, the commencement of construction on the new Gordon Ford College of Business building and the contributions of more than $92.9 million for the WKU Opportunity Fund, which exceeded Caboni’s original goal of $50 million. 

Lee has had a career at WKU since August of 1975 where he was a visiting assistant professor, becoming a tenured professor in 1980, and a full professor in 1985. Lee served as interim head of music from 1987 to 1989 and the associate dean of the Potter College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences from 1992 to 1994, then Potter College of Arts and Letters dean from 1994 to 2015. 

Caboni commended Lee for his counsel and assistance with decisions when he joined WKU. 

“I want to thank [Lee] for all [he’s] done for our university… we look forward for many more years of celebrating your contributions,” Caboni said.

The Board of Regents also approved changes to course programs, including the suspension of the floristry minor and the suspension of the master of science in child and family studies. Due to low enrollment rates, these programs will be suspended. Current students in the programs will be able to complete, but no new admissions to the programs will be allowed.

Both of the suspensions of programs passed unanimously. The funds and resources of the programs will be reallocated and put into other programs. 

Amongst other approvals came the philanthropic naming of the new softball equipment room, the Alex and Kelly Downing Softball Equipment Room. Alex Downing is a WKU alumni, who formerly was the president of the College Heights Foundation for 13 years, according to the Board of Regents agenda. 

“The philanthropic naming request is recommended in recognition of the generosity of Alex and Kelly Downing,” the agenda stated. The motion was carried, resulting in the renaming of the room.

The Board of Regents will meet for their first quarterly meeting for the spring 2024 semester on March 1, 2024. 

Content Editor Molly Dobberstein can be reached at [email protected]