SGA passes 3 bills, 1 resolution at weekly meeting

Administrative+Vice+President%2C+Salvador+Leon+Golib%2C+gives+a+brief+report+on+SGAs+finances+at+the+first+SGA+meeting+of+the+semester+on+Tuesday%2C+Jan.+23.+
Eli Randolph
Administrative Vice President, Salvador Leon Golib, gives a brief report on SGA’s finances at the first SGA meeting of the semester on Tuesday, Jan. 23.

The WKU Student Government Association held its 17th meeting of the 23rd senate Tuesday, Feb. 20, passing legislation to provide funding to the Office of Sustainability.

Bill 25-23-S: Funding for the Office of Sustainability would allocate $500 from the legislative discretionary budget to financially assist with initiatives from the Office of Sustainability.

These funds are planned to be used for Office of Sustainability projects such as the WKU Food Pantry, scholarships and potential events such as the upcoming Earth Day Celebration in April.

Resolution 26-23-S: Resolution to encourage sustainability initiatives by charging a $5 sustainability fee to students would allow SGA to support charging students a $5 sustainability fee in their tuition per semester to provide funding for the Office of Sustainability.

These funds would go directly to the Office of Sustainability, assisting them through their initiatives to promote campus sustainability.

Both pieces of legislation were written by Sophomore Senator Rush Robinson who said sustainability projects would “ultimately invest in student experience” due to the Office of Sustainability’s purpose to “promote equity, the environment and the economy of WKU.”

The senate passed two additional bills, Bill 27-23-S: Funding for Gift Bags for WKU Students and Bill 30-23-S: Funding for the National Eating Disorder Awareness Week Tabling.

Bill 27-23-S would allocate $585.00 from the legislative discretionary budget to purchase items such as pens, pencils, fidgets, lip balm, notepads, Liquid I.V., Emergen-C, and gum for gift bags to be handed out to students at future tabling events.

Written by Robinson and Senator At Large Ella Wooton, Wooton said the gift bags will provide students items to “boost morale,” “better their learning experience” and “support their overall wellbeing” for the rest of the semester.

Bill 30-23-S would allow SGA to allocate $100 for supplies such as keychains and bracelets to be handed out to students during National Eating Disorder Awareness Week Tabling taking place in Centennial Mall on February 28.

Written by Gatton Academy Senator Livi Ray, Freshman Senator Savanna Kurtz and Freshman Senator Chloe Ralston, they said tabling would allow SGA to spread “positivity, awareness and support” to students during National Eating Disorder Awareness Week.

All four pieces of legislation passed unanimously in the senate.

Assistant News Editor Ali Costellow can be reached at [email protected]