‘Life is truly your runway’: WKU fashion merchandising class hosts fashion show

Fashion+model+Abby+Gubbins+struts+across+the+floral+decorated+stage+at+the+closing+of+the+%E2%80%9CLife+Is+Your+Runway%3A+Pure+Imagination%E2%80%9D+Fashion+Show+at+Western+Kentucky+University%E2%80%99s+Downing+Student+Union+auditorium+in+Bowling+Green%2C+Ky.+Feb.+26%2C+2024.+
Von Smith
Fashion model Abby Gubbins struts across the floral decorated stage at the closing of the “Life Is Your Runway: Pure Imagination” Fashion Show at Western Kentucky University’s Downing Student Union auditorium in Bowling Green, Ky. Feb. 26, 2024.

The WKU College of Health and Human Services IDFM 432: Visual Merchandising and Production class compiled their skills at a fashion show titled “Life is your Runway: Pure Imagination” in DSU on Monday, Feb. 26.

Seth Howard, instructor for the fashion merchandising program, helped facilitate students coordinating the show.

“Tonight is a student-produced fashion show for seniors in our visual merchandising and promotions class,” Howard said. 

The stage was set with floral props and spring colors where 32 models walked across the stage in bright vibrant colors with hints of pastel and floral accents.

Howard said the color palette was meant to encompass the spirit and lively outfits, with high energy and rule-breaking on one side, and hoped to push viewers to prioritize emotional care while also complimenting the upcoming curiosity trend on the other.

Howard hopes that guests were able to enjoy the event, be exposed to the fashion merchandising program and look at upcoming trends. 

Caleb Brown, senior fashion merchandising and design major, was a model and a part of the scriptwriting committee for the event.

“I think the event went pretty well. All of our committee were very great at their job [and] I think we all did a pretty good job of our theme,” Brown said. 

Alia Duncan, senior fashion merchandising major, spoke at the event and hoped that the audience was able to see that the fashion merchandising program is so much more than what people expect. 

“[Fashion] doesn’t have to be a certain type of way and trends come and go, but your own style and your own taste is all about being comfortable,” Duncan said. 

To Duncan, “Life is your Runway” means that every single day that you wake up your clothes help to show your mood and that clothes affect everyone. 

Closing the event was Landen Minto, senior in the fashion merchandising program, who also modeled in the show.

“Life is truly your runway and your imagination holds no limits,” Minto said. 

News Reporter Kaylee Hawkins can be reached at [email protected]