SGA holds weekly meeting, passes 1 resolution, 3 bills

Administrative+Vice+President%2C+Salvador+Leon+Golib%2C+gives+a+brief+report+on+SGAs+finances+at+the+first+SGA+meeting+of+the+semester+on+Tuesday%2C+Jan.+23.+
Eli Randolph
Administrative Vice President, Salvador Leon Golib, gives a brief report on SGA’s finances at the first SGA meeting of the semester on Tuesday, Jan. 23.

The WKU Student Government Association held its 22nd meeting of the 23rd senate on Thursday, April 11, unanimously approving the passage of one resolution and three bills. 

Resolution 56-23-S allows SGA to advocate for the establishment of a direct link through the Housing Portal for the purchasing of a Parking Permit. 

Senator at Large Malick Ibrahim, who authored the resolution, said he knew of several students who felt the arrangement of the Housing Portal and the website to purchase a parking permit as separate websites was confusing, especially for incoming freshmen. He wrote the resolution to contribute to a “more seamless integration of essential university services for students residing on campus.”

Bill 55-23-S allows $200 from the legislative discretionary budget to fund a book drive, where SGA will collect book donations in the SGA office and during tabling events from April 15 to 26 to donate to programs and schools in the local community.

$50 will be used to fund a “book lovers” raffle basket containing books, pens and snacks to incentivize donations. A raffle ticket for the basket will be given to individuals for each book they donate to incentivize donations.  

$150 will be used to purchase new books for donation.

The authors of the bill are Senators at Large Sophia Bryant and Maiah Cisco. Bryant said the bill was a good way for anyone possessing unwanted books to “give back to the community.”

Bill 57-23-S allows $175 to fund an Earth Day flower bouquet tabling event on April 19 on South Lawn.

The funds will be spent on paint, paint brushes, ribbon and other “miscellaneous” items to give out to students that will be decided closer to the event. 

Sophomore Senator Rush Robinson, College of Health and Human Services Senator Julia Duggins and WKU student Ella Wooten said they authored the bill to “promote campus sustainability.”

Bill 58-23-S allows $375 to fund tabling in the Commons on April 25 to give students a “treat” during the week of final exams and raise awareness about the free exam materials SGA can provide.

The funds will be spent on items students will have the opportunity to win, including trail mix, packs of gum, energy drinks and Starbucks vouchers.

Students will also be able to get free scantrons and exam booklets at the tabling. 

Junior Senator Anne-Marie Wright, Senator at Large Dylan Carmona, First Generation Senator Tanner Blood, Senator at Large Carly Wheat,  Freshman Senator Chloe Ralston and Sophomore Senator Gabe Jerdon, the authors of the bill, said giving out these items “gives an immediate positive impact to students.”

The last SGA meeting of the 23rd senate is on Tuesday, April 16 at 5 p.m. in the senate chambers in DSU.

Assistant News Editor Ali Costellow can be reached at [email protected]