WKU president and first lady dedicate new scholarship to first-generation WKU students

WKU President Tim Caboni along with his wife, Kacy Schmidt Caboni, watch as the Lady Toppers play against UTSA during the Lady Toppers 78-50 win in first game of the Conference USA tournament on Thursday March 8, 2018 at The Star in Frisco, Tx.

Natasha Breu

WKU President Timothy Caboni and First Lady Kacy Caboni have established a scholarship fund for full-time, first-generation college students at WKU, according to WKU’s philanthropy page.

The Timothy Christian and Kacy Myree Caboni Scholarship Fund gives priority to students in the Department of Communication with an endowed scholarship fund of $100,000. It is part of the WKU Opportunity Fund and will be administered by the College Heights Foundation.

“My experience as a graduate student in the Department of Communication was one of the most formative experiences of my life and helped to shape much of my professional career,” Caboni said. “Kacy and I want to help others who share our passion for communication to benefit from the same applied experiences I was provided as a WKU student.”

The WKU Opportunity Fund is a part of Caboni’s 2018-2028 strategic plan. It is supported by donors as a fundraising campaign to raise $50 million to provide needs-based financial assistance to WKU students “in support of recruitment, retention and educational experiences that might otherwise remain out of students’ reach,” according to the web page.

Kacy Caboni said their middle names were included in the scholarship name to honor their grandparents and the support they have received from their families. She said she sees this decision as a way to connect their families directly to the WKU family, according to the web page.

The scholarship will be announced at WKU’s largest annual donor event, the Scholarship Celebration, on Thursday, March 28.

News reporter Natasha Breu can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow Natasha on Twitter @nnbreu.