Crowe’s Soul Food offers homestyle taste near campus

Tyrecus Crowe, 27, from Bowling Green, Ky. recently opened Crowe’s Soul Food on Morgantown Rd. Before opening the restaurant, Crowe was a barber in Nashville working job to job. Crowe opened the restaurant simply because there was no soul food restaurant in Bowling Green and he knew it would be a success because everyone loves to eat. At Crowe’s Soul Food everything is homemade and people feel at home. “I’ve had people come in and tell me because I have oldies like Bobby Brown playing that they feel like they’re at home eating,” says Crowe.

Mark Webster Jr.

Fried pork chops, barbeque ribs, meatloaf and fried chicken are regularly cooking in-house at Crowe’s Soul Food.

Located on Old Morgantown Road and open Monday-Sunday from 11:30 a.m. until 7 p.m., Crowe’s provides essential, home-cooked meals and offers a different menu each night. The concept of the restaurant was based on the cooking of the family’s grandmother, Dorothy Crowe.

Owner Tyrecus Crowe said he is excited about the business and believes a restaurant with Crowe’s southern-inspired style was due for Bowling Green.

“Growing up in the country, my grandma did it different,” Crowe said. “It wasn’t cooking over the stove that grabbed the attention, but the cooking from the wood pallets made the different type of touch.”

From the flat-screen TVs all around the restaurant to the variety of customers socializing while looking at the menu, Crowe’s Soul Food prides itself on customer satisfaction, Tyrecus said.

“To me, I want my customers to come in and build a relationship,” he said. “To come in and just eat and leave without speaking isn’t what I want happening.”

Bowling Green native Jimmy Stewart said it is very fortunate the restaurant opened up just in time for Black History Month.

“I’m glad I can let someone else do the cooking,” Stewart said. “Sometimes I would find myself either going to Nashville or even Louisville to grab some soul food.”

Harry Depp, a chef, said he loves his time working at Crowe’s.

“When I got word from Tyrecus that they wanted to open the soul food here in BG, I was fully in,” Depp said. “He’s like a brother to me and always has my back.”

Within the first week of opening, Crowe’s received several delivery requests. Crowe said one such delivery led him to the Warren County Justice Center for a special order to Judge Sam Potter.
Because of how close the restaurant is to WKU and the Registry Apartments, Crowe said he wants to provide a taste away from home for most students. WKU Student and Registry resident Austin Hughes said he hopes to take a visit to the local restaurant in the near future.

“Being close to campus, and the apartment gives me a reason to check it out,” Hughes said. “I’m interested and excited to be able to experience a home-cooked meal that is literally in view out of my window.”

Features reporter Mark Webster Jr. can be reached at 317-874-8618 and [email protected]. Follow Mark on social media at @mwebster68.