Marek Nelson suspended indefinitely after DUI arrest

Sophomore Marek Nelson drives to the hoop around a set of cones during WKU’s first basketball pro day Thursday in Diddle Arena. Nelson is one of seven returning players on this year’s roster. 

Jeremy Chisenhall

When WKU takes on arguably its toughest test yet this season, it’ll have to do so without a forward that has started in six of the team’s 12 games this year.

Sophomore forward Marek Nelson has been indefinitely suspended, WKU head coach Rick Stansbury confirmed Friday. Nelson was arrested for a DUI Sunday morning, the morning after the Hilltoppers beat Saint Mary’s.

“He’s suspended indefinitely,” Stansbury said. “I’ll make the decision when he plays, or if he plays ever again.”

Nelson is averaging three points and 2.1 rebounds in 16.8 minutes per game this year. His recent run of starts came after Desean Murray left the program. Nelson is the fourth player to face suspension after legal troubles this year. A police report obtained by the Herald confirmed that Nelson was under the influence of marijuana when he was pulled over

“I’ve never had one guy in 14 years ever get arrested,” Stansbury said. “We’ve had two different arrests this year, with basically just not making very smart decisions.”

Stansbury said that Nelson will not travel with the team during his suspension. He also said sophomore forward Josh Anderson will need to step up in Nelson’s absence. 

The Hilltoppers take on the top-25 ranked Badgers Saturday. UW is 10-2 this season, and has won five of its last six. This year’s matchup comes after last year’s matchup between the two teams that saw Nelson commit a charging foul in the closing seconds to seal the win for the Badgers.

“Whenever Wisconsin comes up in our heads, that’s the first thing that comes to mind, that play,” sophomore guard Taveion Hollingsworth said. “But, you know, we forgot about it. This is a new game, so we’re going to do what we’ve got to do.”

The Hilltoppers will tip off against UW at 4:30 p.m. Saturday in Diddle Arena.

Editor Jeremy Chisenhall can be reached at 270-745-6291 and [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @JSChisenhall.