Caboni issues statement following story on SGA president’s harassment experience

Caboni at podium

Herald Staff

President Timothy Caboni has issued a statement following a story in the Herald detailing harassment Student Government President Andi Dahmer said she’s received this semester. 

In a statement published by WKU Public Radio, Caboni said he will be assembling a group of faculty, staff and a student to review the “structure, processes and procedures” surrounding the office of Equal Employment Opportunity, Title IX and the Office of Student Conduct. 

Dahmer filed a complaint with WKU’s Title IX office but was told her case did not qualify as harassment under Title IX. The university chose to process her case through the Office of Student Conduct, but Dahmer believes it should have gone through Title IX.

Caboni said Lauren McClain, assistant professor of sociology, and Karl Laves, assistant director of Counseling & Testing, will co-chair the group 

“If there [are] improvements that need to be made, we will make them. And while we cannot discuss specific Title IX, student conduct or EEO cases, we will be transparent and open about all of our processes,” Caboni said in the statement. 

The Herald did not reach out to Caboni for a statement. This statement has also not been released via email to faculty, staff or students and has not been posted on social media. 

Read Caboni’s full statement below: 

{{tncms-inline content=”<p>"No student – or employee – should feel threatened or unsafe on our campus. While disagreements and differences of opinion are common, particularly on a university campus, we expect members of the WKU community to maintain professionalism, collegiality and respect as they interact and engage with others. I am assembling a group of faculty, staff and a student to review the structure, processes and procedures surrounding EEO, Title IX and Student Conduct. Lauren McClain in our Department of Sociology and Karl Laves in our Counseling and Testing Center have agreed to co-chair this effort. I also will recruit a small group of professionals to serve as external reviewers and to inform the work of the committee. If there improvements that need to be made, we will make them. And while we cannot discuss specific Title IX, student conduct or EEO cases, we will be transparent and open about all of our processes."</p>” id=”3623b7b2-e481-4e38-a582-beacf55665a2″ style-type=”info” title=”Caboni’s Statement” type=”relcontent”}}