Off-campus apartments provide a variety of options for students

Walk2Campus is one of Bowling Green’s top options when it comes to off campus living. Walk2Campus originally opened in 2004 and according to their website has been giving students a unique and affordable option close to campus ever since.

Emily DeLetter

Looking at options for off-campus living can be an overwhelming process. There are many different choices available, from houses to apartments and everything in between. Many WKU students who choose to live off campus after their freshman year have picked one of the larger apartment complexes available.

Less than two miles from WKU, Campus Evolution Villages offers the freedom from dorms many students crave without sacrificing distance. All apartments, in the style of a four-bedroom, two-bathroom floorplan, come fully furnished and allow pets.

Rent for the apartments starts at $420 per resident per month, but property manager Terence Jackson said specials with different rent options “run all the time.”

Amenities include internet, cable and utilities all covered under the rent, as well as a 24-hour clubhouse with fitness and computer rooms. During the spring and summer, Campus Evolution Villages offers a pool and hot tub for their residents.

Jackson said he tries to make the apartments more than just a place for students to sleep at night.

“I want people to love where they live, not just live here because it’s convenient,” Jackson said. “If you’re looking for a home and a community, that’s what we try to offer.”

Located behind the Augenstein Alumni Center and a short walk to campus, Midtown is one of the biggest and most noticeable apartment buildings in Bowling Green.

Both furnished and unfurnished apartments are available, as well as a variety of floor plans ranging from one to four-bedroom apartments. A four-bedroom, four-bathroom apartment would cost each resident $549-$569 per month, depending on the floor plan they choose.

Midtown offers incentives for students who excel in the classroom. Through the Brookside Academic Excellence Program, students who earn a 3.8 GPA or higher will be rewarded with a one-time $150 off rent per semester.

For animal lovers, pets are allowed at Midtown for a $500 fee. Other amenities include cable, utilities and trash removal included in rent, along with laundry, a balcony and a rooftop pool and fitness center.

If apartment living is a consideration but the thought of a house is also exciting, Walk2Campus offers both options to their residents. The South Carolina-based company offers WKU students 27 different buildings for rent.

Property manager Sumer Harper said she loves the small community she has built with her residents.

“I work on building relationships with the students,” Harper said. “A lot of our residents know each other, so it’s definitely like a family here.”

Walk2Campus offers residents a large variety of options, from one-bedroom apartments to a 10-bedroom house. The rent is just as varied—Harper said one-bedrooms start with an upper $600-$700 monthly rent, while the 10-bedroom monthly rent is $485.

Like the other apartment complexes, Walk2Campus offers amenities such as parking, laundry, a clubhouse with workout and study rooms and the biggest perk—proximity to campus.

“Each property has its own unique features, like stained glass, exposed brick, hardwood or front porches,” Harper said. “We try to provide more of a home feel than a complex structure.”

News reporter Emily Deletter can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @EmilyDeLetter.