Local barbershop to start barbering school

Junius Carpenter cuts a client’s hair Tuesday at JC’s Barbershop. Carpenter and his wife now plan to open a “barbershop college” to teach others the ways of barbering. “We look at it as our semi-retirement job,” he said. “This is like the pinnacle of our profession: to teach all the wisdom and knowledge we’ve learned over the years.”

Spencer Harsh

MAKING THE CUT

Hair clippers buzz over the mumbling of a TV. Barbers make small talk with their customers. A small dog wanders around the waiting section with its small nails scratching across the floor as it greets customers.

This is the typical setting at JC’s Barbershop, a locally-owned barber found on 1403 Adams St. in Bowling Green.

While the business appears to be the picture-perfect idea of a barber shop, owners Junius and Jayne Carpenter believe that it can become more.

The Carpenters have decided to use their business as a platform on which to begin a barber’s school in Bowling Green.

“They cannot go onto the floor until they learn the history and ethics of barbering,” Jayne Carpenter said. “The bottom line of ethics is being of good character.”

The barbering school will run enrollment from Oct. 21-22 with the actual beginning of the program starting on Dec. 1 of this year. The requirement for applying is that the applicant must have a high school diploma. Applicants from Bowling Green and surrounding counties have already shown high interest in attending the program.

“The students who make the sacrifice to travel to attend the school truly want to be a barber,” Jayne said. “That’s what it tells me.”

Both Junius and Jayne have developed a passion for barbering. By starting a school, the couple believes they can help others see the business as they do.

“Me and Junius will be hands on with every student,” Jayne said. She values hands-on education and that it is something that pays off for both the student and the teacher.

Jayne wants students from the barber program to be able to work with and cut the hair of anybody that walks through the door.

“I’m real big on telling every student that all money is green,” Jayne said. “You have to learn how to cut everybody’s hair. That’s how you make money.”

Both Carpenters believe that ethics play the biggest role in what makes a good barber.

“You can be the best barber in the world,” Jayne said. “But if you don’t have character, you won’t get customers.”

Junius’ father, Jimmie Carpenter, started barbering in 1948, establishing the family business of JC’s Barber Shop. Since then, all owners of the business have had the initials “JC,” including both Junius and Jayne.

Junius has been on the state board for barber shops for 10 years. Jayne has been a member for six. “Been through it all,” Jayne said, reflecting on their history in the barber business.

JC’s Barber Shop also receives a wide range of customers, according to Jayne.

“Little of everything,” she said of her customers. “Some of them are natives, some students, a lot of people come through.”

JC’s Barber Shop is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday through Wednesday and from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

WKU students can have a special deal at $10 a haircut on Wednesdays.

Reporter Spencer Harsh can be reached at [email protected].  Follow him on Twitter at @ActualSparsh.