SGA announces pub name change, introduces safety app

Marcel Mayo

The Student Government Association announced a minor change to the future pub and introduced a new safety app for students during Tuesday’s meeting.

Despite previous “Dub the Pub” controversy, SGA President Jay Todd Richey announced the administration’s decision to alter the name of the upcoming pub.

Previously, the decided name for the new eatery in the Garrett Conference Center was Topper Tavern and Grill. However, administration decided to change the name to Topper Grill and Pub.

Richey was contacted by Howard Bailey, former vice president of Student Affairs, on the last day of the fall semester about the new name change.

“I met with Howard Bailey. He said he was the person that decided it,” Richey said.

Richey said Ransdell wanted an alternative name for the pub so students wouldn’t associate the pub with only serving alcohol.

“I met with President Ransdell, and he wanted to downplay the alcohol theme. The student body voted on Topper Tavern for the name it should be. I understood we came to a compromise of Topper Tavern and Grill,” Richey said.

Richey said he doesn’t agree with the name change, but the new name will be the final decision.

“I was very disappointed,” Richey said. “It really does makes us question how much the administration listens to us, and it makes us apprehensive of competitions like this in the future.”

RAVE Guardian was introduced as the new campus safety app that can be downloaded through smartphones. The app allows students to communicate directly to campus police in an emergency situation.

Students can also send anonymous messages, recordings or pictures to campus police through the app if suspicious activity is reported. Richey said he loves the concept of the new safety app.

“The power of the blue tower in your pocket,” Richey said.

During the SGA meeting, chief facilities officer Bryan Russell also updated senators on the future parking structure being built in Creason lot.

Brian Kuster, the vice president of Student Affairs, and Lynne Holland, assistant vice president of Student Affairs, spoke about their newly held positions.

Richey also discussed implementing a new initiative for students on campus.

“I had this idea over winter break. I wanted a group on campus that was assembled from the most influential student leaders on campus,” Richey said. “This is just a process of me evaluating which groups have the largest student participation and most influence on campus.”

Richey listed several organizations under his consideration: Campus Activities Board, ROTC, Greek life, REDWAVE and Housing and Residence Life.

“I would love to see a religious organization also involved,” Richey said. “We haven’t met yet. I’m still talking to folks to see which individuals should be a part of a council.”

The purpose of the council would be to discuss important campus issues affecting the university and generate strategies to solve them. Richey also hopes to have more structural conversation with other organizations through this council.

New business Resolution 1-16-S, to Support the Implementation of a Salary Increase for both the Faculty and Staff of Western Kentucky University in the Operating Budget for Fiscal Year 2016-2017, Constitutional Amendment 1-16-S and Bylaw Amendment 1-16-S were postponed to next week’s meeting.