WKU community lip sync for Domestic Violence Awareness Month

As the opening act of the lip sync battle, Jay Todd Richey performs Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train.” The competition was hosted by the WKU Counseling and Testing Center, Housing and Residence Life and the Barren River Area Safe Space. The event took place in the Mass Media Auditorium on Wednesday to raise awareness for domestic violence. Andrew Livesay/HERALD

Brittiny Moore

Oct. 1 marked the beginning of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, which highlights a problem that affects men and women globally.  

In an event hosted by the Counseling and Testing Center and Housing and Residence Life, students, staff and faculty were given the opportunity to sing for the cause.

During the Lip Sync Battles, held in a series of rounds on Oct. 14, Oct. 21, and Oct. 28, participants perform original renditions of songs they believe represent awareness of domestic violence. Participants can also choose to perform a skit during their rendition. 

“We had fun with a purpose,” said Patricia Satterwhite, graduate student with the Department of Counseling and Student Affairs.  

Satterwhite and her team were winners at the last Lip Sync Battle on Oct. 21, performing the song “I Will Survive” and a skit depicting a male surviving a domestic violence struggle. Winners for the event were chosen from audience votes.

“We weren’t looking at it as a competition; it was more advocating,” Satterwhite said. “The overall awareness and support — I think that was the prize.” 

Satterwhite noted that events like the Lip Sync Battles provide an educational experience with a new and fun approach to bringing awareness.  

Elizabeth Madariaga, sexual assault services coordinator for the Counseling and Testing Center, said in an interview with View From the Hill that it is important to keep the issue of domestic violence at the forefront.

“I think the spotlight that has come on college campuses regarding interpersonal violence … brings awareness and puts a spotlight on us,” Madariaga said in the interview. 

Interpersonal violence includes domestic violence, dating violence, sexual violence and stalking, Madariaga added.  

Cheryl Wolf, assistant professor in the Department of Counseling and Student Affairs, also performed on Satterwhite’s team.  

Wolf said the Lip Sync Battles served to inform people about domestic violence while keeping the event fun and entertaining.

She added that statistics were given in between each performance about domestic violence, and a representative from Barren River Area Safe Space was also in attendance to share more knowledge about the issue. 

The Counseling and Testing Center hosted the HopeLine Drive earlier this month as a fundraiser to combat domestic violence. 

The drive helps victims of domestic abuse by refurbishing and recycling old phones, chargers and other accessories in ways that are environmentally safe. Verizon sponsored the drive.

According to one View from the Hill, Verizon has donated $25 billion dollars to domestic violence shelters and programs around the country since 2001 through cell phone drives such as HopeLine. 

The View from the Hill also reported that domestic violence is an epidemic that affects one in three women and one in four men. 

“It’s not just a woman’s issue,” Madariaga said in an interview. “It’s a community issue.”

Other Domestic Violence Awareness Month events hosted by the Counseling and Testing Center have included a candlelight vigil, a proclamation signing and a “1-4” display. 

The Lip Sync Battles finals will be on Oct. 28 at Mass Media Auditorium at 7:00 p.m.