‘Fool for Love’ makes way to WKU Studio Series

AbPonder

Caleb Pless, a senior from Nashville, is bringing a production of Sam Shepard’s “Fool for Love” to WKU’s campus as a part of the WKU Department of Theatre and Dance’s Studio Series.

“[The play] talks a lot about different people’s versions of reality,” Pless, the play’s director, said. “One person might have one view of the world and someone else might have a completely different view. Who is to say whose view is right?”

Pless first encountered the play during an acting class his sophomore year, and he said he’s excited to see it brought to life on stage.

“It was really cool for me coming from the acting and performing side,” Pless said. “Instead of being the one up there performing, I’m on the other side of the table.” 

The play examines a critical point in the lives of its central characters, May and Eddie. The playwright, Sam Shepard, originally wrote the play for stage in 1983 and later starred in its 1985 film adaptation alongside Kim Basinger. 

Paige Brouillette, a freshman from Nashville, plays May in WKU’s rendition of the show. 

“May is very strong,” she said. “She’s been through a lot of crap, just a lot of problems in her past, but she hasn’t let it break her.” 

The play explores how people impact one another, said Julie Pride, publicist for the WKU Department of Theatre and Dance. 

“I think it’s important for people to realize going into the show that it’s not a healthy relationship,” Brouillette said. “This is not a romantic play.”

Josiah Howlett, a freshman from Lexington and a member of the cast, said he believes the play’s dramatic storyline will appeal to audience members. 

“I would say ‘Fool for Love’ is a very good fit for people our age because there’s a lot of drama,” he said with a laugh. “There’s a lot of action just packed into one hour.” 

Pless described the play as full of mystery and twists. 

“You won’t forget the story—it’ll stick with you,” Brouillette said. 

Brouillette and Howlett both said their roles have proven to be challenging and rewarding due to the serious nature of the performance. 

“It’s good to go out of your comfort zone and try something new,” Howlett said. 

The cast and crew have been rehearsing “Fool for Love” since the end of February, Howlett said.  

“He [Caleb] is on top of things and has been very clear on what he wants,” Brouillette said. “It’s like working with a professional director.” 

“Fool for Love” will be performed on April 6-7 in Gordon Wilson Hall’s Lab Theatre, with shows beginning at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5. 

“If you’re on the fence because you haven’t seen a lot of theatre, [this] is an inexpensive way to try it out,” Pride said. “It’s another way to see what creative people are doing.”