Five new players join WKU football program

Redshirt senior quarterback Brandon Doughty (12) hands the ball off to redshirt senior fullback Demetrius Coley (35) in practice as Head Coach Jeff Brohm observes. Nick Wagner/HERALD

Jonah Phillips

On the first day of the spring semester Head Coach Jeff Brohm added five new student-athletes by way of transfer or early graduation to his program—all of whom are immediately eligible for play next season. 

Defensive tackle Jontavious Morris, defensive back Greg Maclin and linebacker T.J. McCollum all join the program as transfers from former Conference USA foe UAB.  UAB President Ray Watts announced in December that the university would be cutting its football program. 

Morris heads to the Hill after three successful seasons at UAB, only having one year of eligibility left. He tallied 54 tackles in 35 games for the Blazers over his career, while in 2014 alone he started 11 of 12 games and recorded 20 tackles, two tackles for a loss, blocked a kick and fumble returned for a touchdown.

Maclin joins the program with two seasons in the defensive back rotation at UAB under his belt. The safety finished his sophomore season with 15 (12 solo) tackles, and comes with two more years of eligibility. 

McCollum joins the team after seeing action in 10 games in 2014 for UAB, accumulating seven tackles after being redshirted for the 2013 season.  He has three remaining years of eligibility. 

Along with the three transfers, two Kentucky All-State players also joined the team. Offensive lineman Cullen Reynolds comes a semester early from Madisonville-North Hopkins High School, where three running backs eclipsed 850 rushing yards this season.

Glasgow High School running back Marquez Trigg rounds out the early additions to the Hilltopper squad.  Trigg tallied up an impressive 1,615 yards on 286 carries and 26 touchdowns as a senior as his team posted an 8-4 record and secured a first-round playoff win. 

The five join junior college signee Sidney Hammond, who was announced in December.