Cause of fire which claimed student’s life determined

A resident of 635 E. Main Ave. talks to Bowling Green Fire Department about the fire that occurred at the home at 5:12 this morning. Jake Pope/HERALD

Herald staff

Update: Nov. 12, 5:33 p.m. 

Marlee Boenig, public information officer for the Bowling Green Fire Department, said the fire was accidental in nature. Investigators determined the fire originated in a trash can in an upstairs kitchen and the most probable cause was discarded smoking materials. 

The original story is below.

Louisville sophomore Tyler English died in a house fire early Friday morning. 

Chris Smith, Warren County deputy coroner, said he spoke to English’s father, who confirmed that English was a student at WKU. English’s body is being sent to Louisville for an autopsy. 

Bob Skipper, director of Media Relations, said English was majoring in construction management. President Gary Ransdell reached out to English’s father Friday morning to offer his condolences, Skipper said. WKU has also contacted English’s roommates to offer temporary housing and counseling services.

Marlee Boenig, public information officer for the Bowling Green Fire Department, said the fire was at 635 E. Main Ave. 

Boenig said BGFD was called to the scene at 5:12 a.m.

The building is two stories. There was heavy fire damage on the second floor. The fire did not spread to any neighboring homes.

Boenig said another person was injured and was transported to The Medical Center. She did not know the extent of his injuries.

Louisville junior Chris Peege, who has been friends with English since second grade, said English was the kind of guy who was always in a good mood and didn’t let anything get to him. 

Peege said the thing he thinks people will miss most about English is “his ability to make people smile.” 

The two went to elementary, middle and high school together, and after graduating from Trinity High School in Louisville, they both decided to attend WKU. Peege said he was glad they were able to keep in touch all of those years. 

“I actually just saw him a week ago and said hi to him and it was the last time I saw him,” he said.

Peege said he found out that English had died around 9 a.m. this morning, after he heard his roommate crying in the hallway. 

“As tragic as his death was, I think he would want us to celebrate his life rather than mourn his loss,” he said.