Farmers markets grow, seek student input

Tyler Anderson

For those WKU students that live in Bowling Green, when a majority of the campus population moves back home for the summer months, it could seem like there’s not much to do. 

However, the summertime can provide opportunities for students to integrate themselves into local life. One such opportunity is the local circuit of farmers markets, known collectively as the SKY (Southern Kentucky) Farmers Market.

Dan Kinsner, a local farmer who runs Summer Garden Memories with members of his family, said he hopes for an increase in students visiting the markets this summer.

“Students are more likely to visit during the Saturday sessions than during the week, but there are still not as many WKU students as I would like,” Kinsner said.

Summer Garden Memories offers a variety of muffins, breads, homemade jams and more throughout the week at the Scottsville Road SKY Farmers Market location in front of Hobby Lobby.

Many local products, such as raw honey, organic produce and homemade delicacies, are available right at a student or Bowling Green resident’s doorstep. Shopping at market locations across the city can support healthier living and the community.

Some area farmers and growers are more than happy to expand their product selection and cater to students’ needs in order to increase patronage of the market.

Vickie Fishburn, owner of Clark Landing Nursery, said she’s curious to know what local produce and flowers students are interested in.

“(I want) to offer large and small Western-themed arrangements, but I need to know that there’s an interest in these products,” she said.

Once this is figured out, Fishburn said her business will be able to spend the time and resources to offer such products. 

With the Community Farmers Market being open year-round, and the outdoor markets being open well into fall, local businesses rely heavily upon the entire city of Bowling Green to bolster the area’s reputation as a leader in local commerce.