Local pools, parks experience increased attendance

Tyler Anderson

Summer is synonymous with swimming season and it’s in full swing in the area. Whether it’s a trip to the lake or to the water park, there are plenty of ways to keep cool in Bowling Green and stay out of the 90-degree heat.

The Russell Sims Aquatic Center has been one summer staple in the community, and has been since it opened.

Whitney Brown, admissions and concessions manager, said that over the years and summers, “business has picked up rapidly.”

“Many (Western) students take advantage of the discounted ticket price,” she said.

Student admission is only $6 with a student I.D.

With a concession stand, daily operating hours and special events such as Customer Appreciation days and a Hawaiian Luau, it’s definitely an option for students hard-pressed to find a way to enjoy the broiling outside weather.

“The Hawaiian Luau is the most popular event among teenagers and adults,” Brown said.

Man-made water attractions aren’t the only way to keep cool. Kentucky has a well-known state park system. 

Less than 30 miles away, Barren River Lake State Park, nicknamed “the nation’s finest” by their government-run state park website, is home to numerous swimming holes for those that want to get a bit closer to nature.

Gilligan’s Island, one of the many beaches at Barren River Lake, is a place for both a picnic and a dip. Privacy isn’t scarce here, and several small swimming areas, marked off by the state park management, dot the area.

Of course, these aren’t the only places to avoid the glaring summer sun. Grab a few friends and hunt down the best place to let loose and enjoy some wet and wild fun.