Students ‘time warp’ again at the ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’

WKU senior Andrew Salman from Scottsville, Kentucky, jumps and dances to “Time Warp” during a live performance of The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Capitol Arts Center on October 21, 2013. The performance encourages audience participation and interaction with the cast as the movie plays behind them. 

Kaely Holloway

Virgins were initiated; veterans were made to hold their title and a motley crowd of show-goers time warped again for the annual showing of the cult classic film the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” at the Capital Arts Center on Halloween Thursday night.

Riff Raffs, Magentas, Frank-N-Furters and other characters from the film dotted the crowd, blending in with other costumes like the stand out Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy from “Spongebob Squarepants”, and the occasional zombie or two.

“I love Halloween,” Cindy Martin, a graduate student, said. “There’s no other place you can dress like this in public and go out.”

Martin had her face and chest heavily painted to resemble a skeleton.

This year’s show featured two pre-show trials: one for veterans, who have been to a show before, and the other for virgins, who have never attended the show before. The trials were meant to embarrass those selected from the crowd. Chosen virgins were made to suck jelly from a jelly packet, while the veterans had the common “fake an orgasm” trial.

Winners of both received roaring rounds of applause and laughter from the audience.

The show finally began, with opening words from Jasmine Hockaday, the Campus Activities Board Late Night and Novelty Committee chair.

“I just want to thank you all for coming to RHPS 2013 and I hope you all enjoy the show, and happy Halloween,” she said to the crowd.

The pledge was recited, traditional audience lines were screamed out, various objects were thrown and the stage and aisles were crowded during both the “Time Warp” and “Hot Patootie.”

“I come every year,” Cassie Struycz, a graduate student, said.

Struycz had a less traditional costume, dressed and painted to resemble the Fruit Stripe Zebra from the Fruit Stripe gum.

Glitter, toast, rice and toilet paper littered the floor as crowds filed out, leaving behind the traditional elements of the annual show.

“It’s awesome, the mentality of it,” Struycz said. “Everyone gets so into it.”