Former director of admissions accepts new position

Trey Crumbie

Scott Gordon, former director of Admissions, has accepted a new position as Special Assistant to the Dean within the Office of the Graduate School.

As director of admissions, Gordon was responsible for “planning and conducting the student recruitment program for Western Kentucky University,” according to his personnel file.

Now as Special Assistant to the Dean, Carl Fox, Gordon will be responsible for improving the process of graduate admissions and other initiatives related to graduate student enrollment.

Gordon was replaced by Dale Brown, director for college and school relations, and Sharon Hunter, coordinator for developmental education, who are now co-directors of admissions in the interim as a replacement is being found, Robbin Taylor, vice president for public affairs, said.

Gordon was offered and accepted the position on Nov. 8. He began working in the position Monday and will hold it until June 30 of next year.

Gordon’s pay will stay at $86,724 until the end of this year, after which he will be paid $52,008.

The shift comes with the news that 668 fewer students are attending WKU this fall from the last, the first time in 16 years fall to fall enrollment has dropped. The drop occurred between 1996 and 1997, according to the Office of Institutional research. A total of 20,456 students are currently enrolled at WKU.

According to Gordon’s personnel file, Gordon received perfect scores on his annual performance appraisals from his supervisors for the last three years.

A comment from one of Gordon’s supervisors in his 2012 performance appraisal stated, “He gives great attention to detail and puts recruiting efforts at the highest level of priority.”

Gordon could not be reached for comment as of Monday afternoon.