Thompson Complex North Wing closing, campus garden discussed

Kaely Holloway

Thompson Complex North Wing will be closed next semester.

SGA President Keyana Boka announced during Tuesday’s Student Government Association that the building will be closed due to inability to maintain the building over the winter months.

“They’re currently working out temporary locations for the classes and the labs there,” Boka said. “They’re having a lot of difficulties with the internal side of the building; it’s a very old building.”

Boka said she will report more information as it becomes available.

Bob Skipper, director of media relations, also confirmed the closing of this building. Skipper is currently obtaining more information regarding this development.

Several other reports were also discussed at Tuesday’s SGA meeting.

Mark Reeves, executive vice president, updated the senate about new policies and changes coming in to the University Senate Executive committee meeting.

“There were several issues that came up at that meeting,” Reeves said.

Among these issues was one regarding Information Technology submitting a policy dealing with privacy with electronic usage.

“Users shall have no expectations of privacy associated with email transmissions or of other data, content and informations stored, transmitted or accessed on university systems and resources,” Reeves quoted from the policy.

Reeves said he will voice his concerns in the University Senate. IT is pushing for this policy, along with eight other policies, to be approved within 30 days.

One bill was passed during the meeting. The measure dealt with money appropriations to Relay for Life, Alpha Kappa Psi, Alpha Epsilon Delta and the Spanish Club. A total of $1,725 was divided among these organizations.

Beth McGrew, from the Office of Sustainability, spoke to SGA about the organization involving itself in the creation of a campus garden.

The garden would be located behind the Office of Sustainability, at 503 Regents Ave. The goal is to have the construction and creation of the garden begin next semester.

“We want to improve access to local and healthy food,” she said.

McGrew said many students have contacted her about this issue, wanting more organic and fresh food options.

Once established, students would be able to plant and take fruits and vegetables from the garden at their leisure.

“Our vision for the garden is to demonstrate educational and conventional garden methods,” she said. “We don’t just want to show one method, and this is the way we want to show different methods and how they compare with one another.”

Next week’s meeting will host Gordon Emslie, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs, as the guest speaker to discuss priority registration and other academic issues.