Tickets still available for Saturday’s game vs. Kentucky

Lucas Aulbach

WKU fans and students looking to catch their first glimpse of the Toppers this year can still purchase tickets to Saturday’s season-opener against Kentucky.

The game is taking place at L.P. Field in Nashville, the same venue where the teams played in 2011.

The announced attendance for that rainy night in 2011 was 24,599. Ticket sales for the game this Saturday, which is scheduled to kick off at 6 p.m., have already surpassed that, according to Athletics Director Todd Stewart.

He said total ticket sales for the game at the 69,143-seat stadium are around 32,000 right now, almost three times more than were sold before the game in 2011.

“I would say when it’s all said and done, we’ll probably end up with hopefully about three times as many,” Stewart said. “It was 12,000 before and we’re at 32,000 now — I would hope we move 4- or 5,000 more through this week. Hopefully there will be a good walk-up crowd, too.”

The game counts as a home game for the Toppers, which means WKU students will have special benefits.

The first 4,000 students who show up with their WKU ID will get into the game for free. Students who show up afterward can purchase a ticket at the gate for $13.

Tickets are also currently available on Ticketmaster.

Stewart said he’s been pleased with the increase in ticket sales compared to two years ago.

“I just hope we get a good showing there,” he said. “It’s our home game and I know UK will have a good showing, it’s a great opportunity for a great win.

“It’s on ESPNNews, so the nation will be watching, and bowl representatives watch and want to see what kind of crowd you have, so I hope we have a really good showing and the way that ticket sales have gone, it’s very encouraging.”

While Saturday’s game will count as one of WKU’s six home games this season, the Toppers will not play a game in Bowling Green until Sept. 21, when the Toppers face Morgan State at Smith Stadium.