WKU softball wins two of three in last series of the regular season

The+WKU+softball+team+watches+in-fielder+Sophie+Weber+%2812%29+bat+during+Western+Kentucky+Universitys+game+against+Southern+Illinois+University+on+Sunday%2C+March+3%2C+2024.+
Eli Randolph
The WKU softball team watches in-fielder Sophie Weber (12) bat during Western Kentucky University’s game against Southern Illinois University on Sunday, March 3, 2024.

WKU Softball defeated UTEP, winning two of three games in the Hilltoppers last three game series before the Conference-USA tournament, May 3 – 5 at the WKU Softball Complex. 

The Hilltoppers now hold an overall season record of 31-19-1.

Game 1

In their first matchup, WKU took the win 5-3.

In the second, fifth year infielder Sophie Weber grounded to drive fifth year outfielder Brylee Hage in to score.

WKU put up two more runs in the second. The first came after fifth year infielder Taylor Sanders singled to drive fifth year infielder TJ Webster home.

Afterwards, Weber singled which drove Sanders in for the third run of the game.

In the fourth, Sanders singled to drive Webster in for another run.

After a UTEP run in the sixth, freshman infielder Morgan Sharpe hit a sacrifice fly to center field which sent sophomore utility Kaytlan Kemp in for WKU’s final run of the game.

Despite UTEP’s effort in the seventh, the Hilltoppers emerged victorious.

Fifth year pitcher Katie Gardner threw 6.2 innings with six hits, three runs and seven strikeouts.

Game 2

WKU secured the series win in the second game against UTEP winning 6-2.

WKU started scoring off with a bang. With the bases loaded, redshirt junior catcher and utility Cheyanne Sales homered for a grand slam. Sanders, Webster and freshman utility and pitcher Annie White ran home to put WKU up 4-0.

In the fifth, Sanders homered which also drove Webster in.

UTEP put up runs in the sixth and seventh, but could not recover from WKU’s early lead.

Smith pitched five innings for the Hilltoppers with two hits and four strikeouts.

Redshirt junior pitcher Kelsie Houchens threw for two innings with two hits, two runs and four strikeouts.

Game 3

WKU fell in the third game to UTEP 7-2. 

UTEP put up all seven runs by the end of the fifth. 

WKU posted its first run in the fifth with a single from Sales to send Sharpe home.

In the seventh, Hage popped to center field to drive Sanders in for WKU’s last run. 

Gardner threw 2.2 innings for WKU with five hits and five runs. 

Smith pitched for 3.1 innings. She threw four hits and two runs.

Houchens pitched one inning with one hit.

WKU will take on either UTEP or LA Tech in their first matchup of the CUSA Tournament on May 9 in Las Cruces, New Mexico at 3:30p.m. CST.

Sports reporter Molly St. Clair can be reached at [email protected].