Rapper Wale brings hip-hop back to WKU

Wale MMG preforms during The BIG SHOW 2013 held by the WKU Campus Activities Board in Diddle Arena Friday.

Quiche Matchen

The Campus Activities Board brought a Grammy-nominated rapper to perform at WKU. Advertisements for this event were all over campus, making students even more excited about seeing the rapper.

Opening acts included: Steff Marvin, DJ Do Great and B. Smyth.

Wale’s DJ played record label, Maybach Music Group’s trademark, “Ma-Ma-Ma-Maybach Music.” The trademark is played at the beginning of every major single from an artist signed to MMG.

The crowd knew Wale was about to come out as the lights lowered and the trademark played. Phones and cameras were out, anticipating the rapper to grace the stage.

Once Wale came out the crowd went wild; screams were heard throughout the arena.

Wale performed hit singles “Lotus Flower Bomb,” “Pretty Girls” and “Bad.”

The beginning of “Bad” came on and screams were heard, as the audience began singing along to Wale’s latest song.

Throughout the concert, the “Bad” rapper threw several towels and water bottles into the audience. Wale even took pictures of the audience as well as himself with the audience during the concert.

He ended the concert with the song, “Bait” from his last album “Ambition” as he danced across the stage.

Jacarri Fitzpatrick, concert chair for CAB, said the concert had a great turnout.

“Once Wale got here the crowd was really responsive,” she said. “It was a great experience.”

Fitzpatrick said the concert overall was great and she said CAB’s Leadership Team did a great job of helping out with the concert.

Concert goers had mixed reviews about the concert.

Jessica Faine, of Bowling Green, said the concert was hype.

“It was good just seeing him perform,” she said. “My favorite part was when he performed ‘Bad’ because it’s a hit on the radio.”

Indianapolis, Ind. couple Bruce and Paula Brentz said they also enjoyed the concert.

“It was really nice and great for me because I’m old school,” she said. “This is the first rap concert we’ve been to; the last concert we went to was Luther Vandross.”

She said she enjoyed that everyone was well-behaved and it represented WKU very well, and her husband agreed.

“It was very upbeat and all the DJs did a great job,” he said.

Angeleca Lusford of Bowling Green said the concert was alright.

“He took way too long to get here,” she said. “But, he turned up at the end. He showed up and showed out.”

Louisville sophomore Marquise Alexander said she also thought he took too long to get there as well.

“Wale’s DJ played the same songs that DJ Do Great played,” she said.

Alexander said overall the concert was good and she was glad he performed “Bad” and “Bait.”

“The setup was good it seemed like everything came together,” Alexander said.

WKU graduate Sean Hopson, of Madisonville, said he thought the show was great.

“I’ve been a Wale fan since 2008,” he said. “He’s a talented artist and writer.”

Hopson said he had a friend that listened to Wale before he was a big name and that’s how he became a fan. He said his favorite part of the concert was when Wale took it back with his older music.

Nashville junior Quinna Hogan said she also has been listening to Wale for a while.

“I’ve been listening to him since I’ve been a freshman here,” she said.

Hogan said she wanted Wale to mix it up more, but the concert was still good.

“I wish he would’ve mixed it up with more of his mixtapes because it would’ve connected more with the audience,” she said.