Students can find out what to do with their degrees at a conference

Quiche Matchen

Undeclared students or those who don’t know exactly what jobs they can get with their major can attend the Career Linkages Conference for help.

The conference will be hosted by Potter College of Arts and Letters and Career Services this Friday from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Students should register as soon as possible.

Ft. Campbell senior Michelle Dille, a Potter College Dean Council student, said Jennifer Markin, the coordinator of student services at Potter College, came up with the idea.

“She got with the Dean’s Council of Students to bounce around ideas,” Dille said. “We thought it would be really helpful for all students who are interested in building career skills.”

Markin said the idea came when she was working with students who had liberal arts degrees and a ton of skills.

“They were very qualified but they struggled to articulate that qualification in the job market,” Markin said. “For our majors, in particular, they may not get that philosophy job…but a philosophy major can apply to multiple different career paths.”

She said having the conference in the spring will allow graduating seniors enough time to take something away from it.

Markin said the conference is about understanding how students can explain what their skill set is.

The conference will give students a fun and interactive way to get information from faculty, private sector professionals, staff and recent alumni.

“The conference is open to any student, but it’s very much geared towards traditional liberal arts majors,” she said.

Luke Jean, recruitment chair for the Dean’s Council of Students, said in an email that the conference was created to educate students on how to use what they’re doing in and out of the classroom to propel themselves into the workforce.

“My role in planning this event has been more of a support role,” Jean said. “I provide Jennifer Markin and others a place to bounce ideas off of.”

Students can expect four different sessions at the conference.

“The first two are breakout sessions where you pick from four different topics each time,” Markin said.

She said sessions can include interviewing skills, résumé-building and finances.

“The third session is a panel discussion; it’s open the whole conference,” she said. “It has both faculty and staff and private sector professionals talking about what they did with their liberal arts degrees.”

The fourth session is an opportunity for students to talk to faculty one-on-one, Markin said.

“I hope it encourages students who are exploratory to find a major that they enjoy in the liberal arts field and to take their college experiences outside of the classroom,” Jean said.