Fireside Chats teach students healthy eating habits

Ryan Pait

Students looking for tips on staying healthy while at college should attend WKU’s “Fireside Chats.”

The series, which is co-sponsored by WKU Health Services and the WKU Restaurant and Catering Group, began in October and continues through February, according to Health Services’ website.

The program is offered free of charge to WKU students, according to Health Services’ website. Lauren Tuttle, WKU’s health educator, said in an email interview that Health Services has done the series for almost four years now.

“College students learn many lifestyle habits in college, and it’s important to maintain healthy habits because they are more likely to stick with them even after college,” Tuttle said.

Students are encouraged to attend the event, which is held in the Health Services building’s lobby around the fireplace. Health Services also provides a healthy snack as well as hot chocolate, according to Health Services’ website.

The series resumes on Feb. 5 with an installment titled “Should You Be Gluten Free?” The chat begins at 6 p.m., according to Health Services’ website.

“Should You Be Gluten Free?” will be led by Sharon Barron, ARAMARK’s registered dietician. WKU’s event calendar states the chat will focus on the benefits of adopting a gluten-free diet, the food options available to people with gluten-free diet and the reasons for switching to a gluten-free diet.

The series also provides students with an opportunity to meet with WKU’s registered dietician, who can provide individual nutrition counseling to students free of charge, according to the Restaurant and Catering Group’s website.

The series will conclude on Feb. 19 with a final installment titled “Eating Out the Right Way.”

Tuttle also urges students to visit Health Services, which she said provides free education and information on a variety of health issues.

Students looking for additional information on the program are encouraged to visit Health Services’ website and the Restaurant and Catering Group’s website.