Chic Chicks: New year means new trends, opportunities

Zirconia Alleyne

As the semester comes to a close, so does my college career. Sayonara to four-and-a-half years of shooting the breeze, meeting new people, preparing for the professional world and taking style risks that can only be taken while in college.

That being said, as I graduate and the New Year approaches, I’ve decided that I’m not making any “resolutions.” I never have, so why start now? However, I am vowing to continue what I’ve been doing — chasing my dreams of becoming a renowned fashion writer. I know I’m nowhere near that yet, but I am on the road there.

This semester, I landed an internship with an online fashion publication in New York called “Making of a Mogul,” where I was able to interview and write about some of the fashion industry’s greats.

Last month, I had the pleasure of interviewing Gayle King’s former stylist, Andre Austin. I was super nervous, but after talking to him and getting my article written, I could tell it was a big step in the right direction.

I bet you’re wondering where the style tips are and why am I talking about my amazing internship. Well, fashion (like many other things) is all about taking risks. Everything is subjective, from how popular a trend will be to how successful a certain designer’s collection was. But the overreaching idea is to try out whatever grand idea comes to mind.

This semester, I launched Chic Chicks with two aspiring fashion writers on campus. We took an idea that had been brewing for a while and made it our own. Whether or not it was successful is for each of us to decide.

Now, as I move on to a new chapter in my life, I hope that you chic chicks across campus will remember some of the style tips we brought you. But just in case, here are a few to take with you into the New Year:

• Be ready for anything. Trends change with the seasons, so don’t get stuck wearing one style or color for too long. That’s just boring, and “ain’t nobody got time for that.”

• Always dress your best. Let’s face it: People are judgmental, especially when it comes to dress. You never know when a phenomenal opportunity will present itself. Don’t let a lazy day hold you back from presenting your best self.

• And again I’ll say, take risks. I think I’ve beaten that idea into the ground. So, you know what to do — be you and stick to it.