Schneider, Potter Halls may hold secrets

Taylor Harrison

The Ghost Hunters came to WKU for the students, not just the ghosts.

One of The Atlantic Paranormal Society investigators, Britt Griffith, said students emailed the Syfy network telling them about the ghost stories. He also said WKU was an amazing place.

“It was like a little paranormal playground,” Griffith said.

Schneider Hall, which houses the Gatton Academy, was one stop on the Ghost Hunter’s paranormal playground. Schneider is said to be haunted by a girl who was killed by an axe murderer.

Bowling Green senior Daniel Hood investigated the claims of the murder at Schneider as part of his urban folklore class, but found no evidence that it occurred.

“This particular tale actually has about three to four variants and those are usually about what the girl’s name was that was murdered at the hall, how was she killed, then basically how she haunts the place,” Hood said.

In Hood’s opinion, the story is more of a legend. He did, however, find the “Ghost Hunters” episode interesting.

“I thought it was pretty fascinating, just what they were looking for and what they found on that episode,” Hood said.

While the investigators were in Schneider Hall, Griffith said their equipment had intriguing reactions and fluctuations, particularly with the electromagnetic field.

Griffith said there were interesting shadows in Schneider as well, but the investigators were not able to document that very well for the show. He also said they heard voices, which he called “idle chit chat,” but weren’t loud enough for recorders to pick up.

Tamela Smith, manager of Interactive Video Services at WKU, said she is WKU’s “unofficial ghost historian.” She has collected information on WKU’s ghost stories since she first arrived as a freshman years ago and has led ghost tours on campus.

Smith had a paranormal experience of her own in Potter when it was still a residence hall and she was working as a police officer on campus. She was showing another officer around the empty building over a school break.

“We started hearing a knocking noise coming from one of the rooms, so we went down to investigate, and we found the room where it was coming from,” Smith said.

As Smith got out keys to unlock the door, she and the other officer heard a metallic, rattling noise. The other officer had seen the doorknob move, she said.

“We watched the doorknob move by itself,” Smith said.

The two officers opened the door and went in to investigate, but there was no one in the room and no windows were open.

“We couldn’t find anything to account for the noises or the doorknob moving,” Smith said.

In Potter, Griffith said they had an even more interesting reaction with their equipment when asking a spirit questions.

“We engaged with something up there,” Griffith said.

He said alarms went off on their equipment measuring temperature and the electromagnetic field directly in reponse to their questions.

Griffith said this project was different because the team got to investigate three different locations in just two nights.

“It was unique in the fact that we were able to do a theater, a dorm area, an office area — so it kind of had a little bit of everything for us,” Griffith said.

While he said most of the stories and claims at WKU weren’t out of the ordinary compared to what the team usually investigates, one stood out.

“The claim of the visual of the girl with the axe sticking out of her head … you don’t really get to hear that too often.”