Big Red’s Blitz still a tradition after nine years

WKU students participate in Big Red’s Blitz at the Bowling Green Humane Society.

Quiche Matchen

In its ninth year, students are still lining up for Big Red’s Blitz.

The MASTER Plan event rounds up students to go out and volunteer at different organizations around Bowling Green.

Students met at 9 a.m. Thursday and President Gary Ransdell encouraged them as they left to volunteer, reminding them of the importance of volunteering.

Some of the volunteer organizations participating this year were Baptist Campus Ministry, the Bowling Green Humane Society and Helping Others Through Extended Love In the Name of Christ, or HOTEL INC.

At Bowling Green Humane Society, a popular volunteer location, students bathed animals, as well as walked and groomed them.

Lawrenceburg sophomore Caroline McDowell, chose to volunteer there because of her love for animals.

“Getting into this program showed me that there is always something that needs to be done in the community,” McDowell said.

Elizabeth Cooper, an adoption counselor for the Humane Society, said her work with the shelter started when she adopted a special needs cat five years ago.

“I’ve always loved animals and everything that the Humane Society stands for,” Cooper said.

Cooper said she spends 40 hours on the clock and 20 hours off at the Humane Society.

“It’s very rewarding knowing that you’re making a difference in their lives,” Cooper said.

At HOTEL INC, incoming Louisville freshman Shavonne Salazar said she made collages so that the place would be homier.

HOTEL INC is a Christian organization that helps needy or homeless people in the Bowling Green community.

“Volunteering here has taught me more about the services that they offer to the homeless,” Salazar said. “I was homeless my senior year, so it’s definitely important because everyone has a story.”

Salazar said she’s already made plans to continue volunteering at HOTEL INC.

Rhondell Miller, executive director of HOTEL INC, sent a big thank you to all of the WKU students who volunteered their time.

“I would like students to know that they are welcome here to get their service hours or even if they need this service,” Miller said.