Annual film festival draws to a close

Joanna Williams

Films from as far away as Japan and New York were screened at the 17th annual Western Film Festival that wrapped up Thursday evening.

Yet many of the more than 30 films presented at the festival were closer to home, as independent filmmakers from the region as well as students showcased their films.

Columbia senior Thomas Scott’s film “The Making of Finality” was screened Wednesday night. The film is about the frustrations he runs into while he attempts to make a movie for a film festival, and was based off his actual experiences making his original movie idea for the festival “Finality.”

“It turned into a movie that was how hard it was to make a movie,” Scott said.

WKU alumnus Nate Morguelan of Bowling Green had his short film “K” screened Wednesday night. The film is about a hitman who goes on a series of killing sprees for his job, while at the same time, his family is texting him to get items from the store on his way back home.

“It just kinda explores the fact that a hitman has a family at home and that you do what you got to do to support your family,” Morguelan said.

The festival was open to filmmakers and video producers of any experience level, said Cory Lash, transitional journalism retiree and founder of the festival.

Lash said he thinks the festival has remained at a level where there is a variety of films and a great amount of talent.

“I think its been consistent,” he said. “You never know what you’re going to get.”

At Wednesday evening’s screenings, Lash said the festival was well underway.

“Its been going as smooth as can be,” he said. “The seminars have been great… The only thing we would like is to fill this auditorium.”

Attendance was low during the screenings in Mass Media and Technology Hall auditorium, and Lash said he thinks that’s a result of having the festival at the end of the semester.

“We try to have it at the end of the year so students can have all semester to work on it,” he said.

During the seminar part of the festival, Lash said the dialogue between the professionals and the students was good.

“The seminars have been well attended,” he said. “We try to schedule it during class time so other faculty can come and bring their classes,” he said.