Matt Rice: ‘I have been a part of something that is truly special’

Matt Rice

Hi! My name is Matt Rice. I am a mechanical engineer and senior catcher for the university baseball team. Since I am an engineering student, and our writing skills are limited, you’re going to have to hang in there with me with my article. When I was asked to write something reflecting on my four years on campus, I wasn’t quite sure where to start, so I figured I could run through some of my most memorable experiences on campus. 

I still remember coming to Bowling Green a skinny 18-year old-kid and hauling all of my possessions up nine flights of stairs to my room up in Barnes-Campbell Hall. I didn’t know a single person on Western’s campus and was moving in with a complete stranger. Little did I know that this stranger turned out to be my best friend on campus, and this was just the beginning of the most unbelievable experience of my life.

I considered listing all the endless memories that are unique to Western students, like the 8 a.m. treks up the hill and the sweet sound of Guthrie Bell Tower as you walk around campus. However, I am sure that someone else can say these things in a much more poetic manner than myself. 

I want to talk to you about the unique experiences I have had through athletics. During my time here on campus, I have gotten to enjoy countless Friday nights under the lights at “The Nick” and packed houses against Kentucky and Louisville. The connection, spirit and pride among Western students/fans in their university is truly unique. 

In my four years on campus, the atmosphere at our games has undergone a complete transformation.  This is a tribute to you as students.  Thank you for all your support.

Whether you realize it or not, we (student athletes) take a tremendous amount of pride in representing our school. This privilege that we have comes with countless hours of practice, days spent on the bus, and late nights trying to keep up with schoolwork. 

But all the work, the sweat and pain are all worth that instant when all that can be heard is the roar of the crowd and the sound of the fight song. It never fails to give me chills, and I am forever grateful for the experiences I have had. I can honestly say that I have been a part of something that is truly special.

Thanks for the countless memories. Enjoy every second on campus and GO TOPS!